Help with my kali machine

Hello everyone! I am currently working through some HTB machines and following along with Heath Adams’ Windows Priv Esc for Beginners course. For the past three HTB challenges that I have done, I have had issues uploading files and sending payloads on my kali machine via NC, FTP and SMB. Is this all a coincidence? Am I doing something wrong? Or is there something wrong with my kali machine?? I’ve been following the walk throughs step by step and that target machines are exactly the same as in Heath’s videos. I’d really appreciate some help!!

@sout said:

Hello everyone!

Hi!

I am currently working through some HTB machines and following along with Heath Adams’ Windows Priv Esc for Beginners course.

Awesome.

For the past three HTB challenges that I have done, I have had issues uploading files and sending payloads on my kali machine via NC, FTP and SMB. Is this all a coincidence?

Possibly

Am I doing something wrong?

Probably, but I dont know what you are doing so its pretty much guesswork right now.

Or is there something wrong with my kali machine??

It depends. What have you done to it?

I’ve been following the walk throughs step by step and that target machines are exactly the same as in Heath’s videos. I’d really appreciate some help!!

From what you have put, there isn’t enough for me to know if I can help or not. If I can I will.

Not much to go off here to help. What commands are you trying in particular to move files around? Are you referring to trying to exfil data from a victim using something like ftp, or smbclient?

Say you have access to an SMB share and there are files you want to mget from the share onto your victim machine, what error are you facing or what’s happening?

netcat can be fussy sometimes, especially with pipping input to a file - something like nc -nvlp 9001 > notashell.exedoesn’t always work.

If you can provide some more information, we might be able to deduce what you’re trying to do and what errors, if any, you are getting.