Viewing the solution when you haven't solved it.

I really want to know the solution for a machine I have been trying to crack (Chainsaw) because I’m mainly here to learn, I don’t care about virtual points.

Honestly it would be better if you’d provide an option to forfeit any points to gain for a machine and get the solution that way, especially for VIP users. Why is this not an option?

Because propably you can spoil them to others!

Type your comment> @DaChef said:

Because propably you can spoil them to others!

What’s stopping me from spoiling any previously hacked machines to others? What’s the difference.

If you hack it yourself and put some effort, maybe you’ll think that your time is valuable, you did it by trying and you wont spoil!
It is easier to spoil an information you just got for free, than one you fighted for :slight_smile:
At least thats my thoughts on it :stuck_out_tongue:

If you hack it yourself and put some effort, maybe you’ll think that your time is valuable, you did it by trying and you wont spoil!
It is easier to spoil an information you just got for free, than one you fighted for :slight_smile:

I respect what you’re saying but I disagree. Right now only retired machines provide the solution. The reason being because there’s no way to gain points from it. Why not translate that same principle into non-retired machines?

It’s not free. That’s why I say, forfeit any points to be had from the machine on the condition that you’re a VIP member. Those two conditions are the cost.

The ease of solving a machine is relative and personal, why would I not give out all the solutions for machines I found easy in the past? Because I respect the website. I still see no difference.

In the spirit of hacking that would make it quite easy to get to guru with 2 accounts :slight_smile:

Type your comment> @m3ll0 said:

I respect what you’re saying but I disagree. Right now only retired machines provide the solution. The reason being because there’s no way to gain points from it. Why not translate that same principle into non-retired machines?

It’s not free. That’s why I say, forfeit any points to be had from the machine on the condition that you’re a VIP member. Those two conditions are the cost.

The ease of solving a machine is relative and personal, why would I not give out all the solutions for machines I found easy in the past? Because I respect the website. I still see no difference.

If you gonna spoil or not is about your morals and if you care about this platform!
Now about the forfeit of points and the solution giveaway, personaly i would just wait for the retirement of the box or ask another member to help me pwn it :smiley:

Not to mention all machines will be retired at some point, and I think it’s better to not have that temptation to skip to the solution, it’s more fun this way.

Type your comment> @idomino said:

In the spirit of hacking that would make it quite easy to get to guru with 2 accounts :slight_smile:

Yeah I thought about that, that’s a good point actually. There probably isn’t a way to prevent that from happening. Too bad this website is more focused on points rather than education. I still love HTB, but that’s a bit of a pain if you ask me.

If you gonna spoil or not is about your morals and if you care about this platform!
Now about the forfeit of points and the solution giveaway, personaly i would just wait for the retirement of the box or ask another member to help me pwn it :smiley:

Fair, I think I will PM someone, the wait is a bit too long lol.

The best it to try harder with the assisst of someone, as you said the learning process is the bigges point here :smiley:

Yeah I thought about that, that’s a good point actually. There probably isn’t a way to prevent that from happening. Too bad this website is more focused on points rather than education. I still love HTB, but that’s a bit of a pain if you ask me.

I don’t know, I actually really like learning the ‘hard’ way like this. There are plenty of other cybersecurity sites like Avatao with explanations and courses.
I registered a little more than 100 days ago and didn’t even know what nmap was. Now I can do up to ‘hard’ boxes with minimal hints. It’s scary how addictive and educational this site is.

I don’t know, I actually really like learning the ‘hard’ way like this. There are plenty of other cybersecurity sites like Avatao with explanations and courses.
I registered a little more than 100 days ago and didn’t even know what nmap was. Now I can do up to ‘hard’ boxes with minimal hints. It’s scary how addictive and educational this site is.

If you have a 100 days between not knowing Nmap and cracking chainsaw, then you’re honestly brilliant. Can’t you lend me your brain instead, a small loan of a million brain cells lol?

There are tons of other websites out there that will teach you skills that you can apply here. This is a CTF site. The purpose of a CTF is to challenge you to apply what you know already and to make you learn more in order to crack a box.

It’s a waste of time to be frustrated about this particular site not being geared for education when there are countless other sites that are.

Type your comment> @saso said:

There are tons of other websites out there that will teach you skills that you can apply here. This is a CTF site. The purpose of a CTF is to challenge you to apply what you know already and to make you learn more in order to crack a box.

It’s a waste of time to be frustrated about this particular site not being geared for education when there are countless other sites that are.

Thanks for the passive aggressive advice. I’m simply expressing my disappointment in what could have been a great learning experience, if you want to call that frustration, have at it hoss.

Countless other websites don’t teach you pragmatism. You learn proper technique and enumeration through experience. There aren’t countless websites that are geared towards what I proposed.