Points lost? :(

Hello I left December 24 to Germany for the CCC, stayed in Europe until recently, then got busy with work and 3 days a go I log in do one sever, and after that I check my points hopping to have claim up more the rankings and for my surprise I notice I went from 190 something down to 100 something… and like 100 places down the rank… can someone explain to me or better point me to a link of the explanation in how this works? why did I lost the points? how do you loose points? etc etc… thanks

did machines you had previously rooted get moved from the “active” category to the “retired” category? As i understand it, you do not retain points from machines that are retired, as such your rank is not a static thing and must be maintained by hacking new boxes as they come in. I think you keep the highest “quoted rank” however (skiddie, hacker, pro, elite, guru) but i could be wrong about that. That’s my understanding. Not sure where its stated though.

Thanks @Nalaurien yes indeed I just check and 2-3 machines were retired … any place this is write down so we can know for sure? I mean is good to know the rules… if I had know this I may have made a bigger effort to root more server instead of just getting home and saying “I will log in when I am less busy” … etc. :slight_smile: thanks.

I got it from the text under the title of the active and retired pages. They have a small text line under the page title that state:

Active: “Machines that are currently active and ranked. Points awarded by those machines advance members to the Hall of Fame.”
Retired: “Machines that no longer give points or count towards the completion percentage.”

I interpreted this to mean that points are not permanent. :slight_smile:

“count towards the completion percentage.” is also where the distinction is made between ranking and completion percentage, and the main reason i believe its possible you do maintain your quoted rank (skid, hacker, pro…etc)

ohh I see, got it… when I read it first I thought it just meant that if you do a retired machine you wont get points… but i guest that even if you get points when is not retired they will go away when it is. IS kind of a good idea so the people who started 6 months before are not always at the top even when they dont participate.

Yeah it makes perfect sense, as the world of cybersecurity is changing so often, it wouldn’t make sense if you remained rank 1 a year after doing nothing in this field. :slight_smile:

@rek2 said:
if I had know this I may have made a bigger effort to root more server instead of just getting home and saying “I will log in when I am less busy” … etc. :slight_smile: thanks.

Don’t beat your self up on this, it’s just points not memory loss, my mission is to become a Script Kiddie over the next couple of months, I know I can do this, if I try hard enough.