Openvpn Initialization Sequence Completed but no connection

I’m having the same issue. I’m pinging boxes like 10.10.14.1, but when i ping 10.10.10.27 I can’t hit it.

could it be that 10.10.10.27 in general is offline?

Scar,

Did you ever figure this out?

@twotimes said:
Scar,

Did you ever figure this out?
im sorry what?

Can you try and nmap scan the 10.10.10.28 box instead? (This will at least tell you that you can connect to a box in the starting point network)

This sounds like the 10.10.10.27 box needs to be rebooted. When you are connected in on the Starting Points page can you restart the box? Then try again and see if that helps.

10.10.10.28 also is unreachable
and no i cant restart the box

How to connect to 10.10.10.27. And, that looks like a no.

Terminator, I also tried x.x.x.28 and it didn’t work for me either.

Type your comment> @ScarVite said:

I think you are connected with the wrong ovpn file. You will need to switch to the starting labs vpn under access and then re-download the ovpn file. If you do not download the new file you will keep connecting to the active machines instead of the starting labs.

When you go to Starting Point on the left side does it say “You are not assigned to a Starting Point lab.”?

@twotimes said:
How to connect to 10.10.10.27. And, that looks like a no.

Terminator, I also tried x.x.x.28 and it didn’t work for me either.

Can you ping 10.10.10.191? If so you need to make sure you are connecting to the Starting Point vpn connection pack.

If not check the below:
When you go to Starting Point on the left side does it say “You are not assigned to a Starting Point lab.”?

Do you ovpn files end with startingpoint.ovpn? I just went and regenerated a new ovpn file and connected into the us server and was able to hit .27 without an issue and could not hit any of the active machines. Just make sure you are using the right ovpn file.

@TheT3rminat0r

On the left side is says, “Server: Us Free 2.”

It automatically set’s it at the VPN stage by asking me usa or eu.

I downloaded the connection pack. Run it based on the example. openvpn twotimes.vpn.

It ends with a Initiation sequence completed.

I open up a new terminal tab, and ping 10.10.10.27, and it doesn’t see it.
I ping 10.10.14.1 and I do get a response back.

I’m sorry for my noobishness. I didn’t hit 10.10.10.191, and have no idea how to change the vpn.

Type your comment> @twotimes said:

@TheT3rminat0r

On the left side is says, “Server: Us Free 2.”

It automatically set’s it at the VPN stage by asking me usa or eu.

I downloaded the connection pack. Run it based on the example. openvpn twotimes.vpn.

It ends with a Initiation sequence completed.

I open up a new terminal tab, and ping 10.10.10.27, and it doesn’t see it.
I ping 10.10.14.1 and I do get a response back.

I’m sorry for my noobishness. I didn’t hit 10.10.10.191, and have no idea how to change the vpn.

Just sent a PM.

@TheT3rminat0r said:

I think you are connected with the wrong ovpn file. You will need to switch to the starting labs vpn under access and then re-download the ovpn file. If you do not download the new file you will keep connecting to the active machines instead of the starting labs.

already redownloaded and switched the server multiple times.
And where should this ““You are not assigned to a Starting Point lab.”?” be?
When i open Starting Point, i am directly in that tutorial screen thingy.

@TheT3rminat0r said:
Do you ovpn files end with startingpoint.ovpn? I just went and regenerated a new ovpn file and connected into the us server and was able to hit .27 without an issue and could not hit any of the active machines. Just make sure you are using the right ovpn file.

It doesnt show that for me, when im in the tutorial screen i can select either usa or eu and i am getting to download scarvite.ovpn

@TheT3rminat0r said:

@TheT3rminat0r said:

It doesnt show that for me, when im in the tutorial screen i can select either usa or eu and i am getting to download scarvite.ovpn

I was chatting with @twotimes earlier and it appears the site is a bit different when you first get connected than when you have gone through some of the beginning steps. From talking it seems like there were some random boxes up in the network they were connected to that were neither starting point or the HTB active network. Might be best to ask HTB support what might be going on there.

Sorry I was not more helpful. Perhaps if there is someone else who just got started has gone through something similar and can help what they did to get things working.

@TheT3rminat0r said:

@TheT3rminat0r said:

@TheT3rminat0r said:

I was chatting with @twotimes earlier and it appears the site is a bit different when you first get connected than when you have gone through some of the beginning steps. From talking it seems like there were some random boxes up in the network they were connected to that were neither starting point or the HTB active network. Might be best to ask HTB support what might be going on there.

Sorry I was not more helpful. Perhaps if there is someone else who just got started has gone through something similar and can help what they did to get things working.

To get the Support request straight: I Am not connected to thge starting lab and neither to the main htb network?

@ScarVite I would run the nmap scan and see what systems (IP addresses) are up in the network segment you are in. Earlier when troubleshooting it looked like where twotimes landed they got back these IPs 10.10.10.86 - 90,.180, 183, 184 which is not starting labs or what I would expect to see from the active machines either. We did not try and scan the boxes more to see what the boxes were (hostnames and what not) but it was enough to say something was not right where they landed.

If you scan the network and you do not see just active machine (10.10.10.170?-10.10.10.191) or the starting point ip addresses (10.10.10.27-.55) then it seems like something was messed up with the vpn connection itself.

@ScarVite Can you look in the ovpn file and put in here what is listed for you remote address (cat ScarVite.ovpn | egrep remote).

@TheT3rminat0r said:
@ScarVite Can you look in the ovpn file and put in here what is listed for you remote address (cat ScarVite.ovpn | egrep remote).

remote edge-eu-free-1.hackthebox.eu 1337
remote-cert-tls server

and regarding your other post, how do i scan the network?
im pretty new to this stuff

nmap -sP -v 10.10.10.0/24

Though based on your ovpn file remote address you are connecting to the active boxes and not the starting point boxes which is why you cannot see the 10.10.10.27.

Let me know what you get back from IP addresses.

I will PM you.

@TheT3rminat0r said:
nmap -sP -v 10.10.10.0/24

Though based on your ovpn file remote address you are connecting to the active boxes and not the starting point boxes which is why you cannot see the 10.10.10.27.

Let me know what you get back from IP addresses.

I will PM you.

k,
I also just tried pinging some active machines and i got reponses