Some Advices from HOF!

Hi,
I want to know how some people could reached this good level of penetration testing.
I think every body with rank at least Hacker in HTB or can reach it easily has very good knowledge, especially Hall of Fame members!
so it’ll be useful if you shared your experience.

from where you started learning about cybersecurity at all ?
what was the best resources for you ?

and so on :3

For HTB: Get some VIP access, go on youtube and go through the old boxes with @ippsec. Your recon will improve immediately and you will find stuff.

Take extensive notes. Every single box or challenge that you do, write down your thought process and the steps you took to solve it. You’ll be able to refer back to them later.

I guarantee after a few dozen boxes there will be things that you’ve forgotten, but you’ll have your notes to fall back on and jog your memory with. After doing that enough times, those notes will become permanent, long-term memories that you can refer to on the fly.

This includes even the basics, such as enumeration. I started out having to go back and read my notes (or program help messages/man pages) just to remember my nmap/gobuster/wfuzz/whatever arguments. Now I don’t.

This also goes for one-off articles, scripts and tools you come across in your travels. It might not be immediately useful, but it could be useful in the future. Categorize and bookmark them. The next time you’re looking for, say, Windows privilege escalation stuff, instead of blindly Googling, go look at your Windows bookmarks.

TL/DR: Practice makes perfect. Log your practices and review them on a regular basis.

Thanks a lot !

What @opt1kz said is spot on.

how could i get my name in HOF page of HTB???

@beertocode said:

It is a dynamic list. Have a score in the top 100 of all users. Currently this is 1429 points.

As you can see, unless I get round to scoring some points soon, I will drop out of the HOF (I have 1436 at the time of writing).

okay > @TazWake said:

@beertocode said:

It is a dynamic list. Have a score in the top 100 of all users. Currently this is 1429 points.

As you can see, unless I get round to scoring some points soon, I will drop out of the HOF (I have 1436 at the time of writing).

thankx alot for this information