Official racecar Discussion

Official discussion thread for racecar. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

1 Like

Hey, I got the flag but after reversing it to get it on the right order, the flag isn’t correct. I’ve tried to deduce some words to make a sentence but nothing seems to work so far. Since the challenge is considered as “piece of cake” what i’m missing here ?

same bro :confused:

Happy to give you a nudge if you drop me a message and explain what you’ve got so far.

I have the same issue where i believe i have the correct flag but it wont allow me to submit it

This is my first challenge, and I have no idea what to do. I’ve run the two racecar programs, looked at the files, I won the races with both vehicles. Still nothing - would appreciate any help

2 Likes

the flag does not work for me too. How many flags are?

I have tried disassembling and decompiling the racecar file, looked through all the strings, edited some variables to change the output but nothing gets me any closer to finding the flag. Any help would be appreciated…

> @kaixeb said: > I have tried disassembling and decompiling the racecar file, looked through all the strings, … racecar is a challenge in the section Pwn. It is not in the section Reversing. A zip file to download and an instance to run the HTB server is given. The typical approach is to analyze the given program, finding a bug, exploiting the bug in the instance on the HTB server to get the flag.

2 Likes

Any nudges on this? I found the correct combination but I cannot redirect code execution to the variable? The buffers also are fixed…

> @htbuser01 said: > Any nudges on this? One possible way is to check all function calls: file open, input, output, allocation, and so on.

Type your comment> @xtal said: > > @htbuser01 said: > > Any nudges on this? > > One possible way is to check all function calls: file open, input, output, allocation, and so on. Found the vuln - but not the flag yet. Everything I read is junk

@htbuser01 said: > Found the vuln - but not the flag yet. Everything I read is junk You can test your exploit on your local machine. It is easier to develop the exploit local because you can use all tools you want to view the running program. If the exploit works local it will found the flag using the instance on the HTB server.

Type your comment> @xtal said: > @htbuser01 said: > > Found the vuln - but not the flag yet. Everything I read is junk > > You can test your exploit on your local machine. It is easier to develop the exploit local because you can use all tools you want to view the running program. If the exploit works local it will found the flag using the instance on the HTB server. Finally got it. I am not so familiar with gdb so that was a task… Thanks for your hints

Done!!! It was a a tricky one but it is done! if you need some help dm me.

Can I get a nudge with this challenge? Please dm me if yes.

it says cant open flag contact the creator

Can anyone please give me a little nudge in DM? I think I am very far, but missing some kind of knowledge to be able to finish

For anyone stuck, I recommend to watch the videos of liveoverflow on youtube about bin exploitation

The racecar zip file is password locked. What is the password? or is this part of the challenge?