Official Ophiuchi Discussion

Official discussion thread for Ophiuchi. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

I can get a connection back to my box, but something isn’t working correctly for me. lol

edit: got a foothold, but looks like I was beaten to it

First time playing with this so trying to get RCE is gonna be fun

Got RCE, but can’t spawn revshell :smiley:

Finally, got root
Like this machine !!
Learned new things really!!

Now, that was fun. Pretty straight-forward machine without any guesswork or surprises. Yet still I learned something new. Thanks for that, @felamos :slight_smile:

@HomeSen I have user.txt any hint on root

@GARYHAK2009 said:

@HomeSen I have user.txt any hint on root

Look what you are allowed to do. And then find and exploit it :wink:

cant get the damn thing to execute code

Type your comment> @p00dl3 said:

cant get the damn thing to execute code

the same thing is happening to me

root@ophiuchi:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

finally got reverse shell

Got root. Loved the machine, learned new things.

Type your comment> @Gr4yKT said:

Type your comment> @p00dl3 said:

cant get the damn thing to execute code

the same thing is happening to me

yeah, this was confusing.

For root, all it takes is modification of 1 thing.

Interesting box.

root@ophiuchi:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Type your comment> @Gr4yKT said:

Type your comment> @p00dl3 said:

cant get the damn thing to execute code

the same thing is happening to me

Same. :smiley:

Loved this box. One of the first of this difficulty that I’ve rooted without any hints whatsoever.

Foothold: probably gonna want to use a web proxy like B*** - try to break the thing. Some careful google-fu can yield some interesting info and some great tutorials.

User: a bit trivial. The name is a big giveaway.

Root: This took me a while to figure out. Usual enum, then once you found a thing, where you are is important. You may have to get your hands dirty with some new stuff.

Thanks for the wonderful box - I think it deserves a much higher quality rating.

EDIT: lots of people are saying to edit the w file - just putting it out that that it is possible to create your own. I got segfaults when using the language you would think to use, but there’s lots of other options out there. A weird version of a commonly mocked scripting language did the trick for me.

Type your comment> @pizzapower said:

I can get a connection back to my box, but something isn’t working correctly for me. lol

edit: got a foothold, but looks like I was beaten to it

i can get a connection back too. but i have no idea on how can i get revershell.

My advice for you guys trying to get foothold… if you get a 500 debug/dump screen… read all the way through it… lol don’t be like me.

Wasted a hour until I noticed that :wink: could have had it soooo much sooner.

Interesting box, rough for my skillsets but tis how we learn so they say :tongue:

Type your comment> @PrivacyMonk3y said:

My advice for you guys trying to get foothold… if you get a 500 debug/dump screen… read all the way through it… lol don’t be like me.

Wasted a hour until I noticed that :wink: could have had it soooo much sooner.

Interesting box, rough for my skillsets but tis how we learn so they say :tongue:

your wasted hour saved me … thanks for the tip.

Rooted!

For the last step. You can use a web thing, and it’s as simple as you think it is, just cut out all of the other crap, and use whatever old faithful tool you’ve used since the 70s.