Noob trying to hack

Hello all,
I’ve just begun to play around with Hack The Box. All these time i’ve just hacked vm that run on my laptop.

I’ve scanned the Cascade box and found 53,88,135,139,389,445,636 and couple of others to be open. I tried the eternal blue which we newbies always try first to exploit a box. That does not seem to be working.

Can somebody please help me get started with this ? Are these any specific skills required to do this ?

Yeah eternal blue wont work, it doesn’t work on newer windows versions like cascade. Cascade does require some skills to do it, I would really recommend starting with the easy boxes to gain a little more experience with htb boxes.When you feel good enough, up the level and switch to medium boxes and so on.

:slight_smile:

I am just beginning with ethical hacks. Any tutorials to know what exploit to use and how to identify them would really help.

Type your comment> @pktlyser said:

I am just beginning with ethical hacks. Any tutorials to know what exploit to use and how to identify them would really help.

Have you tried the starting point exercises yet? Those are specifically for beginners so probably best to start there before starting to attack the easy machines like Rocketeer mentioned

Type your comment> @absolutenoob said:

Have you tried the starting point exercises yet? Those are specifically for beginners so probably best to start there before starting to attack the easy machines like Rocketeer mentioned

Yeah true i forgot to mention the starting point machines, but aren’t the starting point machines only for VIP members or they are available for everyone?

@Rocketeer said:

Type your comment> @absolutenoob said:

Yeah true i forgot to mention the starting point machines, but aren’t the starting point machines only for VIP members or they are available for everyone?

I think it is a mix of both.

For pure learning, although this might be heresy, I think TryHackMe has a very good approach with rooms where you can practice specific techniques. HTB is not (IMHO) the best place for total newbies to start as there is quite a steep learning curve to begin with.

Thank you every one. I’ve just started with tryhackme till i get used with the tools used like burpsuite and gobuster. TryHackMe has several tasks within a box but some require payment.

starting point machines are opened to non-vip, btw.

watch ippsec videos on youtube that helps for enumeration

@pktlyser

If you are new or want to fill some holes in your knowledge I have just completed this course on Udemy. This is a fantastic course that gives you an excellent overview of tools, methods and mindset. This will get you ready to take on the boxes found in HTB.

i am we versed with the ethical hacking terminologies and definitions. I just need some help on what tools to use and when to use them.