(noob) HTB Academy Linux Fundamentals- Help am stuck on SSH

Within System Information of Linux Fundamentals, it wants me to use the instance to log in through the ssh. I have been having a lot of difficulty doing that; I open bash and input “ssh htb-student@10.10.15.208” and then input the password “HTB_@cademy_stdnt!” but it doesn’t work. I think the user and password part of this is correct since it is provided to me, so I am thinking I am inputting the wrong IP address. However I have tried all sorts of different things for the IP address, but it still hasn’t worked. Is there something I’m missing here? I feel like this should be an easy thing to be able to do

@Cornboi said:

Within System Information of Linux Fundamentals, it wants me to use the instance to log in through the ssh. I have been having a lot of difficulty doing that; I open bash and input “ssh htb-student@10.10.15.208” and then input the password “HTB_@cademy_stdnt!” but it doesn’t work.

When you say “it doesn’t work” - what do you mean?

Does it say the password is rejected, the username is invalid etc?

The SSH connection is clearly working far enough to get challenged for a pasword.

I think the user and password part of this is correct since it is provided to me, so I am thinking I am inputting the wrong IP address. However I have tried all sorts of different things for the IP address, but it still hasn’t worked.

Well, there should only be one IP address to use - if you got the IP wrong you might be able to tell from the error messages.

Are you using the IP you get when you click to spawn the target system?

Is there something I’m missing here? I feel like this should be an easy thing to be able to do

Things are only easy when they work.

Exactly! I’m facing same problem. When I get into IP address that given me by random and It requires me password to log in! But I want to type the password that “HTB_@cademy_stdnt!”, I’m not able to type anything. Anything at all! Any recommends to solve this?

1 Like

@temulen0928 said:

Exactly! I’m facing same problem. When I get into IP address that given me by random and It requires me password to log in! But I want to type the password that “HTB_@cademy_stdnt!”, I’m not able to type anything. Anything at all! Any recommends to solve this?

What do you mean you cant type anything? What happens when you try?

Does it look like a normal SSH login situation?

You are typing though. It is linux’s way of not showing credentials. It is not because the cursor isn’t moving, that it is not working.

Copy the password, open your instance in a new window. On the bottom corner, you will find a small button. Click it. It should have the copied information ‘auto-pasted’. When you close this box, you will be able to right click and select ‘paste’. Now press enter.

You should be inside the box now.

It might be that your language settings for your keyboard are different, otherwise you should be able to just type the password in, exactly as shown.

I figured out what we were doing wrong today. You may have received a message asking you to confirm whether you want to proceed to establish ssh connection with the host because the host is “unrecognized”. You would have had to make one of three options looking something like this “Yes/no/fingerprint”. If you saw this message, then the mistake you are making is, you are using the wrong user identity. In my case it was “htb_student” instead of “htb-student”. The underscore used in place of the hyphen was the major cause. Essentially what it might mean is that you connected to a different host who’s password is not “HTB_@cademy_stdnt!”

Which kernel version is installed on the system? (Format: 1.22.3) Which kernel version is installed on the system? (Format: 1.22.3)

I nedd help

With ‘man uname’ you will be able to see your options
You can show all info available, or use a simple aproach
I used uname -r
Don’t forget to write exacted what you were asked for

1 Like

Thanks for feedback

what is the question?

it gave you the wrong version. I have had that happen to me on the mtu question. you are looking for version 4.15.0

I’m also struggling with logging in via SSH. See the screenshot for my attempts and the last one is me pasting the password in to show that it’s the correct password.

The instructions for how to connect via SSH (at the bottom of the screenshot) looks to be missing the IP address so I might be using the wrong IP address.
Has anyone also had this issue?

1 Like

you need to spawn the target system then ssh into the ip address which spawned

1 Like

That was it! Thanks!

Took me 3 weeks too figure this part out.

im having the same problem

I’m not sure, why am I not able to ssh into htb-student?

You are getting this error because you haven’t entered the correct IP click on the Spawn Target then the system will give you an IP try to do ssh with that IP.

I typed in the password and it says “Connection closed.” I would have expected an incorrect password message or the welcome message. What am I doing wrong?

For me, I have spawned three or four times and ssh ..*. then typed the password and it says access denied then times out at three tries. I’ve tried getting the sudoers file to show the characters to see if that’s the issue but I can’t get anywhere with it. Any suggestions? It worked perfectly fine yesterday until it kicked me out. Is that the issue?