NMAP scan showing all ports filtered

I’m trying my first machine postman. When I did a nmap scan it showed all ports filtered. I PM’d a member who said there are open ports.

I’m running Kali on a VMmachine. I spun up a Win 10 machine and scanned it and it showed all ports filters. I then turned off the firewall on the Win 10 machine and the nmap scan showed open ports.

I’ve done various nmap scans from simple nmap 10.10.10.160 to including other options.

When I google this it talks about was filtered means but not about what might caused it.

Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated. I’ve used it previously on labs where the other machines were VM’s on my network and it worked.

Are you properly connected to the VPN?

When I go to access it shows I"m connected. I’ve tried from different computers and with Kali and ParrotOS. On my computer I have a couple of virtual network connections. I can scan the network work on the same network for example as long as the first three octets match.

I’ve tried it with network bridged and NAT’d.

The VPN is connected in the guest, right? If you have the tun-interface on the host you will have routing issues, unless you set the routes up manually.

Type your comment> @scud78 said:

The VPN is connected in the guest, right? If you have the tun-interface on the host you will have routing issues, unless you set the routes up manually.

You helped solve my problem. I was running openvpn and then once I showed I was connected on the access page I would CTRL+C the terminal window.

The access page showed I was connected but now I now the VPN tunnel was closed.

Hope this helps someone in the future if they search here. I knew it was user error and something I was doing.

Install network-manager-openvpn-gnome (if you use ubuntu/kali) and import your vpn file using the gui. Then just flick a switch and it runs in the background

Thanks for the tip. I installed it and it works with the following issue. It kills my connection to the internet. I found a solution for windows and still looking for a solution for Kali.
With VPN on I can’t post here or search for other solutions from within Kali.

Since it is a VM I can pop out and have this access but if I need to download something then I will have to turn it off.

Type your comment> @daman1 said:

Thanks for the tip. I installed it and it works with the following issue. It kills my connection to the internet. I found a solution for windows and still looking for a solution for Kali.
With VPN on I can’t post here or search for other solutions from within Kali.

Since it is a VM I can pop out and have this access but if I need to download something then I will have to turn it off.

Go into the connection settings for that adapter and set it to only use it for connections on that network, for ipv4 and 6.

Thanks, I had tried that earlier and it didn’t work. This time I waited a bit longer and turned the VPN on and off and it works.

Hello, apologies for reviving an old thread - Im facing the same issue where when I connect via the openVPN GNOME GUI option, I can ping the HTB VMs but can’t access the internet. If I connect via OpenVPN in terminal using the same config file, there is no issue

Any ideas?