Host seems down error -Pn

Hi there, I have just begun my journey into HTB. I have VIP access and when I first run a nmap scan on a box, in this case Lame, nmap -A 10.10.10.3, I have a successful report. After I complete the box, and move on to another one like SwagShop: 10.10.10.140 my result is this:

“Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn”

After seeing this error I then run a nmap scan: nmap -A -Pn 10.10.10.140
and I get the following results:

Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details.
It then gives a traceroute information.

1. To confirm, VIPs have access to ALL boxes, retired or not correct?
  2. I am connected to the VPN properly, so what could cause the error: “Host seems down…”
  3. With the command " nmap -A -Pn 10.10.10.140" is the result enough information to move forward to next clue to capture the flag?

I am a little lost but determined to find an answer! I appreciate those for reading this post and that can help out. Thank you all.

The “Host seems down” error with the “-Pn” option typically means that nmap is not able to establish a connection to the target host. This can be due to a number of reasons, including network connectivity issues, firewall rules blocking the scan, or the target host being offline.

Here are some tips to help you fix this error:

Check the target host’s IP address: Make sure that you have entered the correct IP address of the target host.

Check your network connectivity: Ensure that your network connection is working correctly and that there are no issues with your router, firewall, or network configuration.

Check the target host’s firewall rules: If the target host has a firewall, make sure that it is not blocking the nmap scan. You can try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if that fixes the issue.

Check the target host’s availability: Use a ping or traceroute tool to check if the target host is online and reachable. If the host is down, you will need to wait until it is back up to scan it.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez