Firefox in academy worsktation VM can't connect

Hi there. Complete noob to HTB here and I’m still getting used to the platform, so bear with me.

I’m working through the Introduction to Academy module. Should be super easy to breeze through, right?

But I got stuck on the “Interactive Section with Target” section. I connect to the workstation fine, nothing seems to be lagging or bugging at first glance, etc. However, when I get to the part where I need to navigate to the target web address with Firefox, the browser just…doesn’t connect. It loads until it gives a “connection timed out” error.

I bring this up because this is the second time I’ve run into this problem, so I’d be surprised if it was anything to do with the server. However, upon examining the System Monitor graph of Network History under the Resources tab, I noticed something weird-- it seems like the machine is able to send out a lot more data than it is receiving. (I’ll attach a screenshot of what I’m seeing for reference.)

I haven’t been able to find anyone talking about the same thing searching online or on the forums so I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Hey serazVi,

Welcome, no worries about being new, everyone was there once. The machines were god awfully slow yesterday. So it could have taken 3-5 minutes for the target machine to boot up. Make sure you give it some time to get setup. I had the same errors happening, but after I let the machines start, everything worked normally.

It may seem silly, but I gotta ask it. Did you spawn the system at the end of the lab?

From there you would just need to copy and paste the IP/Port into the browser like 123.123.123.123:12345
-onthesauce

Hi onthesauce, thank you for your response.

I did spawn the target system at the end of the lab. I was trying to enter the IP/port numbers into the Firefox browser but it couldn’t search for anything because it couldn’t connect. I will try again once my daily spawn has refreshed lol. It’s worth mentioning that I did try to use Firefox to reach other domains such as YouTube, but it still had the same problem of not being able to connect. I just started the introduction to Linux module so I might use some of the basic commands to examine the workstation’s network statistics and see if that might give some insight.

Thank you again!

Hello, I’m a beginner and I also got the same problem when I was looking for a goal in an introductory course.
I then found that I get the same problem no matter what I search for.
I would really appreciate your help.
Here is a screenshot of the problem:

Same issue here, did anyone manage to get past this?

ty for answering

do i need firefox for other courses?