Can I solve htb machines through my host?

Hey guys, I run kali linux on my virtual box in mac but I still find it a bit slower than my host computer.

Can I solve htb machines and challenges on my machine using openvpn?

Thanks for help

yes you can, sometimes i use openvpn on my windows

You shouldn’t, you are exposing your machine in a network only used for hacking, what could go wrong?

@chinonino said:

You shouldn’t, you are exposing your machine in a network only used for hacking, what could go wrong?

Even with openvpn it’s not safe? :frowning:

How would VPN protect you from malicious actors in a subnetwork you’re connecting to? Expecially if it’s the network, you’re specifically accessing using said VPN?

Type your comment> @Tellico said:

How would VPN protect you from malicious actors in a subnetwork you’re connecting to? Especially if it’s the network, you’re specifically accessing using said VPN?

Hmm, that makes sense. It wouldn’t. My terminal runs fine inside VM but the browser sucks. I have Xfce as gui manager which is better than gnome but idk why I am still getting lags. Can anyone help?

Modern browsers are single, biggest resources consumers. I don’t know your setup but in my case it immensly helped to increase the memory amount VM can use. That in turn might warrant buying more physical RAM for your host system…

Having 4 GB RAM dedicated to a Kali VM should allow you work pretty much smoothly. 8 GB runs almost seamlessly- I can’t see the difference between host and guest system as far the performance is concerned.

It is possible with an openvpn client and neccessary tools
But it is recommended to have a seperate vm

Type your comment> @Tellico said:

Modern browsers are single, biggest resources consumers. I don’t know your setup but in my case it immensly helped to increase the memory amount VM can use. That in turn might warrant buying more physical RAM for your host system…

Having 4 GB RAM dedicated to a Kali VM should allow you work pretty much smoothly. 8 GB runs almost seamlessly- I can’t see the difference between host and guest system as far the performance is concerned.

Thanks for the tip. It definitely did improve.