Academy Service scanning question

Hello

I’m going through the academy modules and got to the “Getting started” module, section “Service scanning”.

My question is in regards to:

“So far, we know that the operating system is Ubuntu Linux. Application versions can also help reveal the target OS version. Take OpenSSH, for example. We see the reported version is OpenSSH 8.2p1 Ubuntu 4ubuntu0.1 . From inspection of other Ubuntu SSH package changelogs, we see the release version takes the format 1:7.3p1-1ubuntu0.1 . Updating our version to fit this format, we get 1:8.2p1-4ubuntu0.1 . A quick search for this version online reveals that it is included in Ubuntu Linux Focal Fossa 20.04.”

I’m struggling to understand how the OS version was detected using the OpenSSH version.
How was the OS version detected from “OpenSSH 8.2p1 Ubuntu 4ubuntu0.1” to be “1:8.2p1-4ubuntu0.1”?

Anyone who can break this down for me would be much appreciated.

Hi @danthemoddi

when i google “OpenSSH 8.2p1 Ubuntu 4ubuntu0.1”, the first result leads to this site. There on the site you can notice " openssh 1:8.2p1-4ubuntu0.1 source package in Ubuntu", and from there you get the information. Or you can do it as explained in the module and deduct it from the provided link.

Cheers

1 Like