Academy - Footprinting -SMTP

Any hints on the username for the final SMTP question? Can’t get it whatever I try.

Again, ignore me…got it sorted, though not using a technique in the module…:slight_smile:

Me too. Hope someone tells us if its possible with nmap.

Hi @sirius3000,

Can you please give me a hint on how to solve this problem?

Have you used the footprinting wordlist under the resources section for this module?

1 Like

Yea, I have got the answer by enumerating manually.

I tried with smtp-user-enum to automate the process. However, it did not work. So I was wondering what technique or tool you have used other than what’s listed in the module.

It would be really helpful if you share your process.

I think I used the auxiliary/scanner/smtp/smtp_enum Metasploit module with the provided wordlist.

:+1: :+1: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

The last question I solved with the Metasploit module auxiliary/scanner/smtp/smtp_enum, but I also solved it with the “smtp-user-enum” tool and the wordlist passed by HTB Academy. In the results shown by the “smtp-user-enum” tool it is important to look at the response codes next to each name. The theory says that code 252 indicates that a name is valid.

I was able to get this pretty quickly with metasploit, however when running the same wordlist with smtp-user-enum I can’t seem to get the same results. Is there a flag or something else I am missing perhaps?

smtp-user-enum -M VRFY -U footprinting-wordlist.txt -t 10.129.209.62 -v

Some servers need a little more time to respond.

Can please anybody help me, with the “provided wordlist” is it a special file just for this HTB Academy module or is it some well known or already existing withing parrot os?

As far as I remember it’s just for this module…

Thanks got it :slight_smile:

Hey, I really can’t find any where or any information on how to change the query time! I’m so stuck I don’t know what to do.

Read this

or
smtp-user-enum -h

There is a option to extend the time. Default is 5

2 Likes

Thanks.

I did manage to get it sorted in the end. Was under the —help option :man_facepalming::man_facepalming: Just had to read it.

Progressed to the medium lab now had a brief look of about 10 minutes so will see what I can do!

Your hint about extension about the time is the most critical one to solve the 2nd question. Thanks

2 Likes

which wordlists do you use?

I’ve been using this same command for a long time and it never gives me any output