Your Host OS

Hey guys,

I’m sick of Windows as my Host OS with kali virtual machines running on it.

I’m thinking of switching my primary OS from windows to a linux based distro. Any recommendations?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I think Ubuntu is painless switch.

I second @sodomak comments… I use ubuntu… and have windows hosted as virual machine so any windows native programs can be opened easily rather than trying linux alternatives… :slight_smile:

@sodomak @daveimm thanks a ton, any advice before i pull the plug on windows?

Backup:)
You can migrate installed Win to the Virtualbox and use Linux as the host system - so if you need to do some tests on Win, you can:)

I have it as dual boot, my system was able to handle for last 1yr without any issues…
so not sure why you want completely remove windows

Primarily because I don’t trust windows, or admire their work or strategy. I’d rather go for a nix based system completely, than keep switching. I don’t really see a point to having windows when i’m not gaming or using my GPU for some mad processing apart from maybe brute forcing.

Debian with i3wm + py3status. Takes a small time getting used to it, but once you’re used to it there’s no going back.

@darkmaster awesome, now this is the kind of advice im looking for! thanks!

@Zukey said:
Primarily because I don’t trust windows, or admire their work or strategy. I’d rather go for a nix based system completely, than keep switching. I don’t really see a point to having windows when i’m not gaming or using my GPU for some mad processing apart from maybe brute forcing.

If you want to hack Win machines it’s nice to have some Win OS for testing. So my advice is to keep Win in some form - dual boot (not so handy) or VM.

Yeah i’m backing up my system image, maybe that could be used for virtualization but even if it doesn’t, i could probably download an image from ms ,licensed for developers