Why do you want to do cybersecurity?

@LMAY75 said:

There is a vast difference between being upper-middle class and a mutli-billionaire. Bill Gates is one of the most intelligent people on the planet, and in reality just saw an opportunity and acted upon it. I will point out that an inheritance also requires his parents to have been dead, which I do not believe they were when Microsoft was founded.

Totally agree. But this is an argument based on a pedantic use of the language.

The reality is Bill Gates is intelligent but without the privilege of the lucky situation he was born into, he’d be significantly poorer today.

This is not a criticism of Gates. Its a fact that no amount of him being born intelligent would have led to him being a billionaire if he had been born in a fishing village on the Amazon.

That was not racism, but I’ll change it because I can see how it comes off that way and I apologize to anyone who took it to mean I was demeaning those of Indian descent. For the record if he was from a poor village in Scotland I would have said the guy was poor and from the middle of nowhere in Scotland. I cannot comment on the town where he grew up, but from his story assumed it was a smaller-town/village.

I never thought the racism was intentional. “Poor village in Scotland” is different from “Poverty stricken village in India” and when you actually mean a major city its a significant difference.

The reality is the city he is from is twice the size of Denver. India is a heavily populated country so the descriptions of “large” vs “small” can have different meanings.

But it also points to another issue, one you alluded to earlier. This is all heavily politicised. The “poor kid from rural backwater made it to be CEO of the mighty google” is an awesome origin story that makes it feel like there is a lot more opportunity available.

But lets be honest - he is literally a 1 in a million.

As to what I really meant, Pichai is one of my role models because he embodies the epitome of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. He is in fact quoted saying he grew up sleeping on the floor, the guy was not well off and in terms of the “privilege” that others had, he had none.

This is a politicised origin story, be careful how much value you ascribe to each element.

You say he had no privilege but that is literally not true. There are lots of things, completely outside his sphere of control which allowed him to get where is today.

This is not meant to diminish his achievements - he truly did the work and seized the opportunities, but, as the saying goes, no man is an island. There are a massive list of things which he had no control over but acted in his favour.

The probability of him growing up to be the man he is today was incredibly unlikely. He is an incredibly smart man and a hard worker, and that is how he made it.

I agree. But those two things alone are not sufficient. Without them he would have got nowhere. I think we can agree on that.

Luck and the environment you are born into are very, very important.

But there are thousands of incredibly clever, incredibly smart people. The institute he graduated from pushes thousands out into the world each year.

Was he simply the cleverest and hardest working person in India? Because if that is true, then he isn’t really a role model - because being the cleverest/hardest working person in a population of over 1.2 Billion is not something that people can realistically aspire to.

Just to reiterate, none of this is a criticism of Pichai. I actually think he is pretty awesome as CEO’s go.

I can only speak from a US view as I in fact live in the US. You can likewise only do the same for those in the UK and others can do this for their countries as well. In the initial reply I did include “at least for the US” because I can only speak on the US. Are things drastically different in North Korea? Absolutely. I cannot speak on the situations there because it is not my experience.

I feel you’ve taken offence where none is intended. The US centric view is valid, and as you say natural. The point is about finding out more about the world. That’s a fundamental aspect of learning.

The issue here though is that you have formed apparently strongly held beliefs without the experience of anywhere else in the world. Speaking as someone who has lived in the US, and lots of other countries, I strongly recommend being less certain until you’ve experienced more.

This is where i am strongly going to disagree and I apologize in advance for being a little pissed off at this.

You dont need to apologise.

They had no government safety nets and no help. As I can only speak on my experiences, this is where I am going to very strongly disagree.

Except you aren’t disagreeing. You are giving examples of how people in extreme poverty can, through hard work and effort, improve their lives. If you turn round and tell me that your grandfather turned his situation into being a multimillionaire CEO of Fortune 50 company then it is a stronger counter-argument.

But it is still survivor bias. If your grandfather had died of starvation waiting to join the Army you wouldn’t be here to talk about it today. Imagine if your Grandfather had lost a foot before he joined the Army. Would you be here today or would he have been a sad statistic?

You’ve taken this personally but I don’t know why. Nothing anyone has said diminishes the effort of our fore-fathers trying to make our lives better. But we need to appreciate the broader context.

Let me give you a similar - personal - example and then I can explain why I truly believe privilege exists.

I come from a background of working-poverty. I was born in a city in the UK at a time of massive unemployment, riots and social challenges. I left school at 15 with no qualifications and skills. I was broadly unemployable at a time when jobs were scarce and pay was close to non-existent. By the time I was 18, out of a class of 30 kids I’d been in school with close to 20 were dead or in jail.

I escaped this. I joined the Army. I excelled at that and I was able to turn things around so that when I left, I was able to set up my own company and quickly establish enough clients that now, I am more than comfortable and probably in the top 6% of UK incomes.

Why is this relevant?

Because only a portion of it is down to my own intelligence and hard work. If I had not been white, the role I did in the Army wouldn’t have been open to me. If I’d been gay, unhealthy, injured or female, I wouldn’t have been able to do it. If my parents or grandparents hadn’t been born in the UK, or had criminal records, or had links to Irish Terrorism (common where I grew up), I wouldn’t have been able to do it. If I’d been a year younger or older, my lack of educational qualifications would have prevented me from doing it. If I had been intelligent enough to appreciate danger, I might not have been as keen a soldier or progressed as well as I did.

None of this diminishes the fact I used my intelligence and hard work to improve the situation I was born into but without the luck of being born a healthy, straight, white, male in the year I was born, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to excel. A lot of things totally out of my control conspired to give me a chance, which I was able to seize.

Of course, it is possible that I’d have done well with other situations but it is a gamble I never had to take. A good friend of mine - who was orders of magnitude more intelligent than I am and much harder working in general, also tried to enlist. He had a heart murmur and was rejected. He is currently working (harder than I am) in a job earning less than half of what I pay in tax.

I will never accept the fact that it just because I am cleverer or harder working than he is.

If we are going to be throwing accusations of narrow viewpoints, that would be a UK-centric viewpoint, one that I cannot comment on or compare to the US. From a basic understanding however it would make more sense that the UK sees a greater amount of old money as it was an old world empire.

That is a valid point. But it was mostly around the issue of how storing money in banks isn’t really what the super rich do.

Also, its worth noting about 30% of UK Billionaires are actually Russians who’ve become British since the fall of the USSR because its a good way for them to use their wealth to buy stuff like property that they can leave to their kids.

The US in comparison is a relatively new country and our wealthiest tend to be entrepreneurs. Even US figures such as Carnegie were incredibly poor before becoming wealthy.

I totally agree with this. I would say, however, that the “incredibly poor” to “Incredibly rich” is still rarer than you might want to admit.

Most of the time it is “comfortably wealthy” to “very rich.”

The American Dream is a wonderful thing but it isn’t as egalitarian as it could be (maybe even should be).

As an example, if I want to follow in the footsteps of Andrew Carnegie, I need to have around US$500,000 that I can invest, over and above what I need to live and feed my family until I can turn a profit. There isn’t a path for a poor Scottish crofter to decide to get on a boat, sail to the US and start selling stuff to earn money.

Sure it helps to be born into money but it certainly isn’t a requirement to be rich,

No, it isn’t a requirement. You don’t have to be over 6 feet tall to be a basketball player either, but most of them are and if you are taller, you have an easier path.

and being born poor isn’t an excuse to blame your problems on those who have more than you.

On the whole, I agree. I haven’t seen anyone really do that here though.

A vast majority of rich people are in fact just hard workers and smart people.

The same is true about hotel maids, nurses, teachers and thousands of others who are clever and work very hard - but will never be rich.

That was the initial point of my post. Sorry if that comes off insensitive but its the truth as seen from my experiences

I don’t think it is insensitive, but it does depend on how open you are to change as you get more experience.

This isn’t meant as insensitive, but at 17, your experience of the world is pretty close to zero and almost entirely formed on the immediate community you have grown up in.

and the data I’ve seen. I cannot speak from any other perspective.

That’s fine. But everyone else is speaking from their perspectives. If you dismiss their views because they are different from your experience, then everyone else should dismiss your views.

Alternatively, you can look to see the world from other people’s perspectives. That’s kind of the point of discussion and debate. It feels like you are digging your heels in here.

@TazWake

I think you may have missed the original point of my response to Sparkla, granted I am partially responsible for not saying that right off the bat but there were some things I wanted to address so my bad. Also congratulations on pulling yourself out of the mud, it takes a lot of effort and I really respect that.

The original purpose of that response was to address the idea that C-suites did nothing to get their positions, simply inherited their money and are now trying to oppress you. That was were I brought up Pichai because as I’ve heard his story, he came from nothing and well, he’s now the CEO of one of the world’s largest corporations. The reason I chose him is because he holds a C-suite role that he worked for; thus providing evidence for my initial rebuttal to the “C-suites are born with a silver spoon up their ■■■”.

Whether or not he came from a city or a town it is in fact awe-inspiring what Pichai has been able to do. As I have heard his story, I was led to believe he came from a smaller town. That is my mistake for not investigating further. However, it does nonetheless support my initial claim that C-suites get their position from work, not from anything being handed to them.

The racism charge I did take heavy personal offense to. Our country is currently as you probably know having some serious issues with race, so I am going to be overly sensitive to that kind of stuff. Racism is a terrible thing, I have had friends experience it first hand and know how dehumanizing it is. You were really splitting hairs there when you knew that I meant to simply say where he was from. Could have been Germany, Ireland, the UK, the US, or Russia and I would have phrased the statement the exact same way. It had nothing to do with his ethnicity, purely to describe where he was from and if anything highlight part of the disadvantage he did face.

Now to address some of the stuff about the Bill Gates discussion, when I mentioned the Forbes top 10 it was not to say “oh look if you just work hard you will become one of the world’s top 10 richest”. That was once again just to point out that these guys were not handed their positions. Nobody is going to argue Bill Gates was handed Microsoft. Even if his parents were to have given him 10 or even 100 million dollars, I know personally I’d be hard pressed to turn that into corporation worth over 1 trillion. That can only be done through impressive skill and dedication.

As for the American Dream, I’ll semi-disagree. It is completely possible for anyone through hard work to pull themselves up. The degree to which you pull yourself up however is dependent on a variety of factors. This is where I think you misunderstood the purpose of the Bill Gates reference. It was not a “work hard and you will be Bill Gates” propaganda campaign, merely a “your top 10 richest had to work for their positions and weren’t handed much”.

My theory as to degree to which you can pull yourself up depends on a couple things. If you want to be in the super-ultra-rich, I’d say proficiency in two skills is required:

The first I have named “smart work” and directly addresses the loophole to the “hard work” propaganda where people such as maids, janitors, etc. work very hard and make very little. The idea is very common sense, basically that only hard work in certain areas will produce any real results. Thus you have to be smart about your hard work. The degree to which this is available for everyone fluctuates, but often it is possible for most people to find the area in which to dedicate their hard work. It may however be completely against their interests, at which point it becomes a competition between liking your job and having a lucrative job. If they paid ditch-diggers 8 figure salaries, trust me I’d be practicing with my shovel right now. It has no effect that digging is brutal work, I place the value on the money not the enjoyment of the work itself. That is another interesting debate we will have to have sometime, although you may agree that money is more important than interest/enjoyment.

The second is being able to determine where the value in markets currently lies. Bill Gates exploited the computer boom, while people like Zuckerberg and Cuban rode the .com wave. These are examples of very obvious trends, and for people of that generation they were easy(er) to spot and exploit. In the intermediate phases of market/trend cycles the value becomes harder to spot. Often it lies in the stock market, where being able to find very strong asymmetric trades will bring in the most money. The skill becomes finding the trend before others do.

As for merely pulling yourself up, that is easier. I would agree with you that the military provides a fantastic opportunity. As the world moves further towards equality hopefully everyone can realize the same benefits. In the US at least more-or-less everyone is allowed to serve, I don’t know about UK law regarding that. As for your friend with the heart murmur, was he not able to get a military office job?

This isn’t meant as insensitive, but at 17, your experience of the world is pretty close to zero and almost entirely formed on the immediate community you have grown up in.

No offense taken, and one of the reasons I enjoy these discussions with you. I want to learn from the experiences of others and use them to create a more accurate view of the world.

@LMAY75 said:

I think you may have missed the original point of my response to Sparkla, granted I am partially responsible for not saying that right off the bat but there were some things I wanted to address so my bad.

I got that the response was largely to the bit about CEOs rolling in banknotes. However, I like discussions so I thought it would be interesting to drill into the ideas themselves.

Whether or not he came from a city or a town it is in fact awe-inspiring what Pichai has been able to do.

I agree. I also think that if he had been born into a low-caste Indian family, he is significantly less likely to have become Google’s CEO despite his knowledge, intelligence and monumental hard work.

Racism is a terrible thing,

I agree. The point wasn’t that you were racist (like I said, it didn’t seem intentional), it was largely that inherent assumptions existed.

It is rare to hear cities in first world countries described as poverty-stricken, but I am completely open to that being normal language for you.

Just to reiterate, my point was never that you are racist, it is that the language and biases we receive in our lives play up to racist stereotypes.

Please don’t misinterpret this as a criticism of you, it is criticism of the societies we exist in - but 60 seconds on Wikipedia would have identified Maduri as a major city in Tamil Nadu. However, if we dont challenge our cultural bias, it quickly allows us to fall into the stereotype that it is a “poverty stricken village in India.”

For me it is about two things:

• our tendency to accept things which fit our internal narrative without further question
  • cultural problems when considering societies/cultures we have no first hand experience about

The fact Maduri has a population of over a million people doesn’t mean it really is the equivalent of Denver, but its also means “Poverty Stricken Village” is a really bad way to describe it.

As for the American Dream, I’ll semi-disagree. It is completely possible for anyone through hard work to pull themselves up. The degree to which you pull yourself up however is dependent on a variety of factors.

I agree with this, but it does water the idea down to the point at which is becomes a bit meaningless. It is 100% possible for anyone to improve their start in life a bit, but that’s very rarely what people mean when they talk about the American Dream.

We also may need to think about how probability impacts it.

For example, lots of things are possible, they are just improbable. Some are improbable enough they might as well be impossible. It is possible to become rich by buying a single lottery ticket each week. If someone said that was their career plan, you’d quite rightly think they were [stupid|insane|lying].

This is where I think you misunderstood the purpose of the Bill Gates reference. It was not a “work hard and you will be Bill Gates” propaganda campaign, merely a “your top 10 richest had to work for their positions and weren’t handed much”.

s/much/everything and I can agree. I do think lots of them were handed more than most people will ever achieve. That is very different from being handed a fortune then losing it through incompetence as some of the rich children do.

while people like Zuckerberg and Cuban rode the .com wave.

Have you ever wondered why Facebook worked and MySpace failed? At one point, MySpace was a bigger internet property than Google. MySpace was founded by someone who, in 2005 was pretty much regarded as the (evil)genius that Zuckerberg is today - and people had arguments about how his rampant success was a result of his brains and hard work, saying how great entrepreneurs are in general. 3 years later, Facebook overtook it and today I bet hardly anyone knows of either DeWolfe or Anderson.

The skill becomes finding the trend before others do.

This is true, but randomness is frequently overlooked. If you poll market traders, well over half truly believe they outperform the market average. Find trends before others frequently turns out to be luck rather than skill.

As for merely pulling yourself up, that is easier. I would agree with you that the military provides a fantastic opportunity.

It comes with a great cost. I have buried a lot of friends who died trying to “pull themselves up.”

As the world moves further towards equality hopefully everyone can realize the same benefits. In the US at least more-or-less everyone is allowed to serve, I don’t know about UK law regarding that.

The UK did eventually see sense and now allows a greater variety of people into roles - for example, sexual orientation is no longer an issue. Women are still restricted from some of the roles I did (this is changing fast). Security clearance requirements are still an issue and pretty much any disability is going to prevent you enlisting.

The job I did weirdly prohibited people who were colour blind.

As for your friend with the heart murmur, was he not able to get a military office job?

Well, they dont really exist. There are civilian office staff but that is fundamentally identical to being an office worker anywhere. They wouldn’t have got the training, experience or networking opportunities I had.

I want to learn from the experiences of others and use them to create a more accurate view of the world.

That is an awesome viewpoint. I really do wish more people shared it and I enjoy discussions with you for the same reason.

@sparkla said:

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but I kind of agree with @LMAY75 a bit here.

Gates was just lucky.

For me, it wasn’t just luck - and I am conscious that language might become a sticking point here, so I am very much open to the fact I’ve misunderstood.

So, the way I see it: Gates (and most of the other “successful people” we tend to talk about) got where they are by a combination of things - at least half of which are effectively down to chance.

But chance alone is not enough. Short of winning a lottery jackpot, all chance does is provide the opportunity to get maximum return from your hard work and knowledge.

Actually, I suspect if it was just luck we’d see a more even distribution of wealth…

I think the recipe is more a combination of sufficient support to survive mistakes (creating an ability to take risks and survive failures), being able to get “entry”, chance, personal effort and intelligence.

If you can maximise 3-4 of those 5, there is a good chance you will be someone others ask “what are the secrets of your success” and you answer “I get up at 0400 daily and drink the dew off Thai lemongrass which is specially grown under moonshine” or some other nonsense to mask how important things out of your control actually are.

@TazWake said:

Whether or not he came from a city or a town it is in fact awe-inspiring what Pichai has been able to do.

I agree. I also think that if he had been born into a low-caste Indian family, he is significantly less likely to have become Google’s CEO despite his knowledge, intelligence and monumental hard work.

The caste system is definitely very prohibitive, certainly something I take for granted is the fluidity of social hierarchies in the States.

Racism is a terrible thing,

I agree. The point wasn’t that you were racist (like I said, it didn’t seem intentional), it was largely that inherent assumptions existed.

I have college applications out right now. That was very dangerous for me to be associated with, needed to make sure anyone reading understands racism was not my intention and I apologize to those who saw it that way.

It is rare to hear cities in first world countries described as poverty-stricken, but I am completely open to that being normal language for you.

For the US, trailer parks and the projects: the definition of poverty-stricken.
Areas of the white city in London used to be quite poverty stricken as well. Certainly that has changed in recent years though.

Just to reiterate, my point was never that you are racist, it is that the language and biases we receive in our lives play up to racist stereotypes.

Certainly, and implicit biases are something that needs to be addressed. I apologize to anyone who took it that way.

As for the American Dream, I’ll semi-disagree. It is completely possible for anyone through hard work to pull themselves up. The degree to which you pull yourself up however is dependent on a variety of factors.

I agree with this, but it does water the idea down to the point at which is becomes a bit meaningless. It is 100% possible for anyone to improve their start in life a bit, but that’s very rarely what people mean when they talk about the American Dream.

The American Dream is about having a nice house and a white picket fence, not about becoming Rockerfeller. It is completely possible for everyone to achieve the American Dream through hard work and playing the cards they were dealt correctly. For some this may be easier, but it doesn’t take away from the fact it is possible for everyone.

We also may need to think about how probability impacts it.

For example, lots of things are possible, they are just improbable. Some are improbable enough they might as well be impossible. It is possible to become rich by buying a single lottery ticket each week. If someone said that was their career plan, you’d quite rightly think they were [stupid|insane|lying].

This is where I think you misunderstood the purpose of the Bill Gates reference. It was not a “work hard and you will be Bill Gates” propaganda campaign, merely a “your top 10 richest had to work for their positions and weren’t handed much”.

s/much/everything and I can agree. I do think lots of them were handed more than most people will ever achieve. That is very different from being handed a fortune then losing it through incompetence as some of the rich children do.

I’ll disagree here, I don’t think Gates was handed much besides a supportive family. That certainly helps quite a bit but for instance Musk had a shitty childhood both at home and school and turned out perfectly fine. It ultimately comes down to how you decide to play your cards.

while people like Zuckerberg and Cuban rode the .com wave.

Have you ever wondered why Facebook worked and MySpace failed? At one point, MySpace was a bigger internet property than Google. MySpace was founded by someone who, in 2005 was pretty much regarded as the (evil)genius that Zuckerberg is today - and people had arguments about how his rampant success was a result of his brains and hard work, saying how great entrepreneurs are in general. 3 years later, Facebook overtook it and today I bet hardly anyone knows of either DeWolfe or Anderson.

And I quote: “Tom Anderson is an American entrepreneur who has a net worth of $60 million”.

Seems like he’s doing perfectly fine to me. Sure he isn’t Zuck but he has 60 million more than I do.

The skill becomes finding the trend before others do.

This is true, but randomness is frequently overlooked. If you poll market traders, well over half truly believe they outperform the market average. Find trends before others frequently turns out to be luck rather than skill.

So you kinda brought up a lot of unrelated things there so I’ll split this up. As for my thesis statement, I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

In response to discovering wide market trends, that takes skill and practice, not luck. For instance, it is pretty apparent that electric cars are the next big thing. This has been clear since Tesla released their PoC’s. Anyone who was smart got ■■■■■ deep in Tesla right off the start.

As to my initial comment about asymmetric trades, I don’t know if you have ever seen the Big Short but the two guys with their garage band hedge fund did (in real life) take 100k to 40 mil over 3-4 years off of them. One of their best was the Capital One fraud allegation. They loaded up on LEAP calls and bagged a solid return. They did that through reading the financial reports of Cap1, something anyone could have done, its not like it was hidden knowledge. Not really luck, just the attention span to read through thousands of pages of returns and accounting docs.

As for merely pulling yourself up, that is easier. I would agree with you that the military provides a fantastic opportunity.

It comes with a great cost. I have buried a lot of friends who died trying to “pull themselves up.”

Very true.

As the world moves further towards equality hopefully everyone can realize the same benefits. In the US at least more-or-less everyone is allowed to serve, I don’t know about UK law regarding that.

The UK did eventually see sense and now allows a greater variety of people into roles - for example, sexual orientation is no longer an issue. Women are still restricted from some of the roles I did (this is changing fast). Security clearance requirements are still an issue and pretty much any disability is going to prevent you enlisting.

Ah I see, good to know they are making progress nonetheless. Just because you can’t go into the military though does not mean you are screwed. I’ve seen union electricians making 300k+ a year for example. They also get healthcare and pensions.

This is actually a great time for me to make this point to anyone reading, the trades (at least in the States) are a great path to take. Careers like welding (even more so deep sea welding), electricians and plumbers are all paid incredibly well. If you need a way to pull yourself up, here it is.

The job I did weirdly prohibited people who were colour blind.

As for your friend with the heart murmur, was he not able to get a military office job?

Well, they dont really exist. There are civilian office staff but that is fundamentally identical to being an office worker anywhere. They wouldn’t have got the training, experience or networking opportunities I had.

Interesting, our military loves to hire guys into intelligence. As previously states there are other paths to take as well. The military is a daily part of my life so It’s the first thing I’ll think of.

I want to learn from the experiences of others and use them to create a more accurate view of the world.

That is an awesome viewpoint. I really do wish more people shared it and I enjoy discussions with you for the same reason.

Well thanks :slight_smile:

@LMAY75 said:

And I quote: “Tom Anderson is an American entrepreneur who has a net worth of $60 million”.

Seems like he’s doing perfectly fine to me. Sure he isn’t Zuck but he has 60 million more than I do.

I agree, but the point is, is he simply less intelligent than Zuck or did he just not work as hard? And I mean two orders of magnitude less intelligent or hard working.

So you kinda brought up a lot of unrelated things there so I’ll split this up. As for my thesis statement, I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

If you didn’t, there wouldn’t be a debate.

In response to discovering wide market trends, that takes skill and practice, not luck.

Well. If that were true, traders who outperformed the market would consistently do so, and prior performance would be an indicator of future performance. But it isn’t. Over short periods of time, some traders will outperform the market average, but most will return to the mean.

For instance, it is pretty apparent that electric cars are the next big thing. This has been clear since Tesla released their PoC’s. Anyone who was smart got ■■■■■ deep in Tesla right off the start.

Hindsight tells you this. But electric cars existed long before Tesla made them trendy. This is close to a gambler’s fallacy. I know traders who made a profit out of investments which performed well as a result of Covid19 earlier this year. They may claim to have predicted the pandemic but I doubt it.

Not really luck, just the attention span to read through thousands of pages of returns and accounting docs.

You are focused on outlier success cases rather than representative events. I’ve worked at trading firms and every trader has a list of success stories. Every trader tells you they are the best, they outperform the average and make massive profits. If you listen to their win stories it creates the idea they are actually super ninjas. In reality, the market average tends to outperform any individual trader over time.

Ah I see, good to know they are making progress nonetheless. Just because you can’t go into the military though does not mean you are screwed. I’ve seen union electricians making 300k+ a year for example. They also get healthcare and pensions.

Totally agree that there are many paths. However, I bet as a percentage, the rate of electricians making US$300k per year is pretty low.

Interesting, our military loves to hire guys into intelligence. As previously states there are other paths to take as well. The military is a daily part of my life so It’s the first thing I’ll think of.

Here, you can work in Intelligence roles but they dont tend to have a path for people with zero experience/background or training to get into the civilian ones. Or you can work for the security services but expect to earn <30% of the pay you get in the private sector.

@sparkla said:

As much as I would love to continue the discussion, indeed the language barrier makes it hard for me to keep up when posts are the size of a book :wink:

Sorry!

but at that time I actually used OS/2 and liked it a lot more than Windows.

I never really enjoyed OS/2, but I was brought up with Unix so it all seemed weird to me! :smile:.

Sure Gates planed to have the “leading operating system” but if you wanna tell me he had the slightest clue what’s that gonna mean in the future, in a time before most people knew we gonna have “the internet”?

So I agree it is unlike Gates planned the end-outcome but I do think he had a plan to become rich and powerful, with a variety of options because he did pivot quite a bit.

I remember when Microsoft’s intelligent, hard-working and forward-thinking founder was confident there was no future for the internet.

@TazWake said:

I agree, but the point is, is he simply less intelligent than Zuck or did he just not work as hard? And I mean two orders of magnitude less intelligent or hard working.

I’d say Facebook was a superior platform, and managed far better by Zuck than MySpace was by Anderson. I wouldn’t say thats luck.

Well. If that were true, traders who outperformed the market would consistently do so, and prior performance would be an indicator of future performance. But it isn’t. Over short periods of time, some traders will outperform the market average, but most will return to the mean.

Now we are going to have to get into specific strategies. Traders who do make it do it from skill not luck. Most return to the mean because they are cocky and make bad trades. My proof? 08

If you were to master a certain strategy, one based on actual fundamentals and not just an RSI crossover you would consistantly win. Going back to my previous example, if you were to every time a company comes under investigation for fraud, read through all the financial statements from the past decade yourself and then make a decision you would be pretty well off. That would mean you couldn’t trade anything else, which is where people will get caught up. They believe they see a “get rich quick” trade that ends up blowing up their portfolio instead of sticking with their strategies. Going all the way back to the original point, it becomes how well can you spot the hidden value not a guessing game.

Also Cramer doesn’t count as a trader. That guy is a moron.

Hindsight tells you this. But electric cars existed long before Tesla made them trendy. This is close to a gambler’s fallacy. I know traders who made a profit out of investments which performed well as a result of Covid19 earlier this year. They may claim to have predicted the pandemic but I doubt it.

Anyone who says they predicted the pandemic is absolutely a liar. But going back to Tesla, when they started to gain traction was the moment when electric became viable. In reality prior to Tesla electric was a nice idea that seemed far off. Musk came in and proved it was possible with his battery designs. At that moment it became clear that A: we now have the technology to actually pull this off, and B: This is going to revolutionize the auto industry. That is how you find a trend.

An easy trend that I spotted personally was the tech boom starting mid-end april. You saw these companies buying infrastructure that wasn’t gonna pay off for several years. What did this lead to? The companies saying “yea our employees are most likely gonna stay working from home even after the pandemic”. That immediately proved this was not just a couple month long thing but a trend the world was taking, where offices become obsolete as everyone can work from home. The moral of the story? QQQ and CSCO calls printed by mid may through july.

Another great one was the DLTR earnings pop. As everyone lost their jobs, dollar stores saw an obvious boom in sales. That was a 600% gain in one week. Sure, did I lose on trades? Absolutely! I lost when I decided to see what everyone over at r/wallstreetbets was doing and YOLO on some completely retarded play. Those get rich quick schemes don’t work. Over the long run, smart and calculated schemes do.

Totally agree that there are many paths. However, I bet as a percentage, the rate of electricians making US$300k per year is pretty low.

So this is an interesting thing, if you are union you are pretty much guaranteed 6 figures. I agree 300k is probably on the high side, but certainly not out of the question and I think a lot more people hit that than you would think.

Here, you can work in Intelligence roles but they dont tend to have a path for people with zero experience/background or training to get into the civilian ones. Or you can work for the security services but expect to earn <30% of the pay you get in the private sector.

Ah that’s unfortunate

Type your comment> @sparkla said:

And I disagree with you @LMAY75 on the point that “the american dream is still possible”. I’ve wrote half a book worth of articles on that, over the period of the last 15 years, but in my native language. I type here on my smartphone with a limited set of vocabulary, so forgive me that I won’t be as precise, please trust me that I did make my homework and that I’m able to do that just like you both did.

Pick a random documentary about housing crisis in the US on Youtube. No, not only that it’s no longer possible, it actually wasn’t ever possible, except for the very prosperous post-ww2-buildup-period, meaning around 1955-1985. The problem is, that today’s worklife and political views are still defined by the people from this generation, everywhere in the world. In that period a blue collar could buy you a good life for a family, small house, 2 cars, vacations, kids education. Not always, but in average. A lot of things where free or very cheap, like electricity, phone, dental care, … Today 2-3 blue collar jobs can buy you living in a car. For a year now my job doesn’t even pay the utility bill anymore, and I’m supposed to be a highly sought-off specialist speaking 2 languages fluently. It would mean a lot to me if I could have my workstation run longer without the real fear of a financially induced power-out.

People who decide over my life in politics and CEO seats assume, if I would be working hard enough everything would be alright and set the world’s rules accordingly. But their world stopped to exist 50 years ago, they don’t notice cause they have a 15k+ income per month, I earned that per year in good years, working 100h / week easily.

So I completely agree with you about people no longer being able to afford what they should. This goes back to my principle of “smart work” over hard work. You could work very hard in a variety of jobs and go absolutely nowhere.

Post-industrialization and globalism are really responsible here as countries begin to focus entirely on white color jobs and outsource labor to 3rd world countries. Does this mean that the American Dream is dead? No, just changed. You have to be very careful when choosing careers and look for the value. Opportunities still exist for everyone, but no longer does every career path provide that opportunity.

@sparkla your English really is fantastic by the way, if you had not said anything I would have taken you for a native speaker

@LMAY75 said:

I’d say Facebook was a superior platform, and managed far better by Zuck than MySpace was by Anderson. I wouldn’t say thats luck.

Its easy to say it is a better platform/better managed now but that most certainly wasnt true for the first 3-4 years of its existence.

But it avoids the question - it is clearly better now - the question is why? Is that because Anderson & DeWolfe were not clever enough? Or didn’t work [smart|hard] enough?

It is either something we could have predicted in 2004 by the available data or we have to consider that factors outside the control of the individuals involved were significant. In 2006 you would have struggled to find people saying MySpace is doomed - but it was.

Now we are going to have to get into specific strategies. Traders who do make it do it from skill not luck. Most return to the mean because they are cocky and make bad trades.

Have a think about what you are saying here. “A highly skilled trader makes money from their good trades, the fact they return to the mean is just because they also make bad trades.”

The end result is a highly skilled trader is indistinguishable from randomness.

Two books which you might find interesting on this:

• Fooled by Randomness (Taleb) (although Taleb as a person is a bit of an asshole, so if you can get it second hand, thats better :smile: )
  • The Drunkards Walk (Mlodinow)

Anyone who says they predicted the pandemic is absolutely a liar. But going back to Tesla, when they started to gain traction was the moment when electric became viable.

That’s a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The markets are influenced by people who make irrational decisions which means lots of things look pre-determined in hindsight without that being really true.

Look at your examples, you have specific, positive, memories of the good trades but bundle the failures into a single sentence. You have detailed reasons why your good trades were always going to be good but the bad ones are just a “retarded play.” This goes back to gambling. Every gambler will tell you that their strategy is really good - and point to the wins - while explaining the failures are just “stupid mistakes.”

This isn’t an all-or-nothing situation. Like any form of gambling, it is definitely enhanced by skill, but it is still gambling. You know it’s a gamble because you don’t bet everything on a single event and you know you will win some/lose some without knowing in advance which will be which.

So this is an interesting thing, if you are union you are pretty much guaranteed 6 figures. I agree 300k is probably on the high side, but certainly not out of the question and I think a lot more people hit that than you would think.

I dont doubt lots of things are possible, but as I said before, what is probable matters. Bell curves are a real thing.

For example, Glassdoor says The national average salary for a Union Electrician is $47,033 in United States

USNews puts the bell curve a median salary of $55k

Now, just to be clear, none of this disproves what you are saying - it’s just that without some data there is no way to know who valid it is, or more importantly how applicable it is because regional variations matter. An electrician in New York on $100k is different from one in Spearfish SD earning $100k.

For example, in the UK: a role in London will by the sheer cost of living, demand 25%+ greater salaries than pretty much anywhere else in the UK. Saying a pentester in London can earn £75k a year is meaningless for someone looking for a £75k a year job in (say) York where the equivalent role will cap out at around £50k. Both will be well paid lower middle class/upper working-class jobs. Compare that to someone earning the equivalent in India where it is well above average for CFOs.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@LMAY75 said:

Its easy to say it is a better platform/better managed now but that most certainly wasnt true for the first 3-4 years of its existence.

But it avoids the question - it is clearly better now - the question is why? Is that because Anderson & DeWolfe were not clever enough? Or didn’t work [smart|hard] enough?

It is either something we could have predicted in 2004 by the available data or we have to consider that factors outside the control of the individuals involved were significant. In 2006 you would have struggled to find people saying MySpace is doomed - but it was.

Now we are going to have to get into specific strategies. Traders who do make it do it from skill not luck. Most return to the mean because they are cocky and make bad trades.

Have a think about what you are saying here. “A highly skilled trader makes money from their good trades, the fact they return to the mean is just because they also make bad trades.”

The end result is a highly skilled trader is indistinguishable from randomness.

I will disagree depending on the timeframe we are talking about. Day traders are pure gamblers, medium-long term investors/options traders are not. In the short term trends are not predictable but they are over time.

Two books which you might find interesting on this:

• Fooled by Randomness (Taleb) (although Taleb as a person is a bit of an asshole, so if you can get it second hand, thats better :smile: )
  • The Drunkards Walk (Mlodinow)

I’ll check them out, thanks. I’ll likewise recommend Benjamin Graham’s The Intelligent Investor

Anyone who says they predicted the pandemic is absolutely a liar. But going back to Tesla, when they started to gain traction was the moment when electric became viable.

That’s a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The markets are influenced by people who make irrational decisions which means lots of things look pre-determined in hindsight without that being really true.

Look at your examples, you have specific, positive, memories of the good trades but bundle the failures into a single sentence. You have detailed reasons why your good trades were always going to be good but the bad ones are just a “retarded play.” This goes back to gambling. Every gambler will tell you that their strategy is really good - and point to the wins - while explaining the failures are just “stupid mistakes.”

It was a generalization. Were there plays that should have worked and didn’t? Yea absolutely I’m still in pain from my losses on tankers. Oil went negative and they should have skyrocketed. I can rant for hours about how STNG has the best fleet of LR2’s in the industry so on and so forth. When trading responsibly however the losses are far less than the wins.

This isn’t an all-or-nothing situation. Like any form of gambling, it is definitely enhanced by skill, but it is still gambling. You know it’s a gamble because you don’t bet everything on a single event and you know you will win some/lose some without knowing in advance which will be which.

If you are guaranteed winning odds its not gambling. The test is if you were in a competition with someone, could they consistantly beat you? I’d say anytime I go against Warren Buffet I’m gonna lose so he clearly has some skill that I don’t. Likewise I could beat a coinflip or my neighbor’s 3 yr old son consistantly as well.

Also that comes back to strategy. Your MM’s and Citadel’s are never going to lose regardless of what happens. Technically they don’t trade in the same way but you understand what I mean. Those HFT and MM algos always find arbitrage.

I dont doubt lots of things are possible, but as I said before, what is probable matters. Bell curves are a real thing.

For example, Glassdoor says The national average salary for a Union Electrician is $47,033 in United States

USNews puts the bell curve a median salary of $55k
https://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/electrician/salary

Now, just to be clear, none of this disproves what you are saying - it’s just that without some data there is no way to know who valid it is, or more importantly how applicable it is because regional variations matter. An electrician in New York on $100k is different from one in Spearfish SD earning $100k.

For example, in the UK: a role in London will by the sheer cost of living, demand 25%+ greater salaries than pretty much anywhere else in the UK. Saying a pentester in London can earn £75k a year is meaningless for someone looking for a £75k a year job in (say) York where the equivalent role will cap out at around £50k. Both will be well paid lower middle class/upper working-class jobs. Compare that to someone earning the equivalent in India where it is well above average for CFOs.

I agree with you there, the 300k for example I saw in Seattle where the cost of living is quite high. In Illinois my elementary school gym teacher retired on a 6 figure pension while other school teachers across the country struggle to get enough money.

Wowzers, this turned into quite the big of a discussion about economy and topics I don’t have the intelligence enough to comprehend LOL.

@sparkla

Eh you know the British (*Puts top hat on*) always so proper :wink:

@sparkla said:

Thanks mate, but I think our british friend has quite a differentiated opinion about my impeccable english skill, he’s mortified of my overuse of the word “that”.

I think your English is impeccable.

Going back to the original question - the first five or six minutes of this talk from Eric Conrad (who is a genuinely awesome person) give a good explanation about why people work in the cybers.

Type your comment> @LMAY75 said:

@sparkla

anymore stereotypes to share? :wink:

I just was reading a book on pentesting thought I was Understanding it… So jumped straight into hacking. I always liked computer and binary stuff. Thought hacking would be the way to go for more learning.

Type your comment> @sm4sh0ps said:

Type your comment> @LMAY75 said:

@sparkla

anymore stereotypes to share? :wink:

Relax I’m just giving him a hard time :smile:. He makes fun of me for being American all the time.

I was drawn to cybersecurity by a combination of curiosity about technology and a desire to contribute positively to the digital world. Understanding the importance of protecting data and systems from malicious actors fueled my passion for studying cybersecurity. It’s a field where knowledge and skills directly translate into safeguarding individuals, organizations, and society as a whole from cyber threats.