total begginer

Hello, I am a total begginer.

When I do the things that they tell me to do in the first steps, i.e. start the openvpn and do basic port stuff in the first steps i get an error saying that my port specs are illegal. What’s wrong?

nmap -sC -sV -p$ports 10.10.10.27

Type your comment> @ermolka said:

When I do the things that they tell me to do in the first steps, i.e. start the openvpn and do basic port stuff in the first steps i get an error saying that my port specs are illegal. What’s wrong?

What are you exactly trying to achieve here? Please elaborate your problem and issue in detail!

@ermolka said:

I suspect you are using the script are written in the starting point notes. This isn’t a good way to learn how to use nmap. If you use the search feature to find other times people have asked this question.

There are two parts (the bit with ports = $(nmap ... is part of it) so something hasn’t worked. Either the first part hasn’t returned valid data or you forgot to run it.

Because of the way this works, it is hard to trouble shoot.

I strongly recommend you try this:

nmap -Pn -sC -sV -vvvvvvv -T4 -p- 10.10.10.27

It’s also worth taking a bit of time to learn nmap’s switches as this is a powerful tool you will need to use a lot.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@ermolka said:

I suspect you are using the script are written in the starting point notes. This isn’t a good way to learn how to use nmap. If you use the search feature to find other times people have asked this question.

There are two parts (the bit with ports = $(nmap ... is part of it) so something hasn’t worked. Either the first part hasn’t returned valid data or you forgot to run it.

Because of the way this works, it is hard to trouble shoot.

I strongly recommend you try this:

nmap -Pn -sC -sV -vvvvvvv -T4 -p- 10.10.10.27

It’s also worth taking a bit of time to learn nmap’s switches as this is a powerful tool you will need to use a lot.

Thank you, this is from the starting points. Ill read up more

@ermolka said:

Thank you, this is from the starting points. Ill read up more

No worries - its a bit frustrating that they use it in the starting point because it generates an awful lot of people asking for help.