Took the byte

I analyzed the file, and it doesn’t seem to match any known format for a password. Is cryptoanalysis required? This would be weird, since it’s a forensics challenge.

It’s a forensics challenge alright. Literally takes a byte.

Honestly, this was more of a crypto/forensics hybrid to me in my opinion. For those stuck on this, think of the operation that could make the most common byte be that byte in the file rather than the regular most common byte in many files.

I tried any signature here:

The file doesn’t even match closely any of these (even with one byte missing).
I’m puzzled…

Ah, so there’s some crypto in there!

Well, deobufscation more than crypto…

Solved, thanks!

Hello, I’ve tried to solve that few ways but I still don’t get it, could you give me any hints where should I start searching?

@davidlightman said:

Well, deobufscation more than crypto…

I think it is more about crypto. But very simple.

Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

@chivato
please, can you tell us all, did you spent lot of time with roc…ou ?

Rockyou? I have no idea where rockyou would come into this challenge… it is certainly not needed. If you need a password, try looking for patterns somewhere (keep the challenge title in mind).

I decoded a couple of strings which seem like a bash script, obfuscated. Can someone share some links?

@chivato said:
Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

I solved it for a minute using classic forensics tool. So for me it is 100% forensics))

What is a tool (in PM)? I solved it by writing python script to apply one byte w w all variants and saving result + using file & grep to analyse results

It was more like misc - crypto challenge imo.

Type your comment> @tabacci said:

@chivato said:
Right, I spent way too long on this challenge. Ignore the fact it is in forensics. Should 100% be in crypto.

I solved it for a minute using classic forensics tool. So for me it is 100% forensics))

Can confirm, classic forensic tool handled it within seconds.

Very cool challenge.

Indeed a very versatile and classic tool helped.

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool
Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

@YanTayga said:

@mm0086444 said:
@chivato said:

classic forensic tool
Men, what are you talking about? Please PM me the name of that magic tool :slight_smile:

You mean you don’t know what tool that is :open_mouth: