Retired Boxes and Flags Question

Hiya - recently took the plunge into HTB VIP to get access to the retired machines. After completing one and getting user and root flags i tried to submit them, but kept getting an error message.

I know that retired boxes dont count towards your score, but i entered the hashes more for a check off for myself that id completed that box.

My (dumb) question to the forum is can you submit hashes for retired boxes?

Thanks

Yes you can submit hashes for retired boxes. I’ve done it quite a few times for exactly the reason you have described.

When you say you get an error message - what is the error? Are you 100% confident you have the correct hash?

What error? Incorrect flag or something else?

Same issue here. The Submit button stays greyed out. Can’t submit even an incorrect flag.

@cavorticus said:

Same issue here. The Submit button stays greyed out. Can’t submit even an incorrect flag.

What interface are you using?

Have you selected a difficulty rating?

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

What interface are you using?
Have you selected a difficulty rating?

I got the flag using Kali. Difficulty is Easy (Love). Got the user.txt and pasted into the submission field. But can’t submit.

@TazWake I see now that by ‘selected the difficulty rating’, you meant the slider bar which I didn’t realize was a value that I could change. Also I want to point out that the flag changed between yesterday and today. So people should be aware that this flag can change. I was able to submit the flag.

@cavorticus said:

@TazWake I see now that by ‘selected the difficulty rating’, you meant the slider bar which I didn’t realize was a value that I could change. Also I want to point out that the flag changed between yesterday and today. So people should be aware that this flag can change. I was able to submit the flag.

Nice work.

Also, HTB uses dynamic hashes - for most boxes (certainly ones less than about 18 months old, but possibly lots of older ones), the hash changes every time the box is rebooted and is different across VPNs.