Responder not working on HTB network

Hey guys, looking for some advice on getting Responder to work through the VPN connection.

When running it I’ve always gotten:

“Listening for events …”

But never gotten any hashes. I assumed this was normal until someone told me otherwise.

I specify the interface as tun0

I might be wrong here, but I wouldn’t have thought it would work here. There isn’t likely to be much authentication traffic hitting your box unless you can get someone to do something which causes that to happen.

For example, on one of the boxes you can use a bit of injection-fu to make it talk to an SMB share on your machine which allows responder to capture hashes.

Not sure that anything useful would come from the Linux machines though.

I thought the same thing originally. I believe we’re talking about the same box. This probably isn’t a big deal.

Thanks for your reply!

Well, I revive this topic because even today I still had the same issue. I worked for hours to find why it doesn’t work on my VM, why it also doesn’t work on 2 others VMs of 2 differents computers or even on the pwnbox. Even on Discord, I searched for some help but nobody had the answer.

Since 25 minutes, my issue disappeared. For those wondering wtf this issue is happening, the only hint I can give you is: Parrot.

Now, I resolved it by using Kali. I don’t know how this magic works, but the " 3389 port used" error message from Responder didn’t show up, and the hash told me “Hi dude!” (you have to put your ear close of your screen for hear it).

So if you really want to continue without “cheat” with the pdf, do a 2nd VM by using Kali (or use only kali… why not).

To you who are reading this: you’re welcome, and have fun!