Proxy Setup Trouble

I’m running into a snag while going through the Using Web Proxies academy module.

After following the instructions for Burpsuite and ZAP installation and the CA download and install, I cannot access the internet via Firefox in any way now and it’s giving me an error:

"The proxy server is refusing connections

An error occurred during a connection to

Check your proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working."

I’ve double checked to ensure the proxy manual settings are correct as instructed (127.0.0.1:8080), I’ve even tried turning proxies off entirely on Firefox and I still get the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m stuck at this point!

1 Like

Hey. It sounds like you have Foxy Proxy still directing traffic to the 127.0.0.1 Make sure Foxy Proxy is not directing traffic to the proxy.

As far as the certificate install it should be pretty straight forward.

1. Turn Foxy Proxy and BurpSuite on.
  2. Browse to http://burp
  3. Download the certificate.
  4. Import it to Firefox via the Security Section in Preferences.
  5. Check the box that allows the certificate to identify websites.
  6. Click OK and you should be good.

-onthesauce

I deleted the original proxy setting I added into Firefox and added it again and it is working now. Perhaps I typoed something. Thanks for your response!

Since you mentioned you’ve already double-checked your proxy settings and tried turning off proxies in Firefox, here are a few more steps to consider:

1. Firewall Settings: Make sure that your firewall settings are not blocking the connection. Sometimes, security software can interfere with proxy configurations.
  2. Proxy Service Verification: It’s possible that the proxy service you were using a year ago may have changed or encountered issues. If you’re still facing problems, consider verifying if the proxy service itself is operational.
    If, after trying these additional steps, you still encounter the same problem, you can Buy proxy. They offer a variety of proxy solutions designed for different purposes.