Official HackyBird Discussion

Official discussion thread for HackyBird. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

Well…

Spoiler Removed

Any hints on this please…

I am not sure what needs to be done exactly… Do we need to find the window procedure for the “space” key event and modify something to win the game ?

This challenge is quite funny it was fun, pm if u need help ^^

this challenge makes zero sense. for a 30 point challenge, it got extremely annoying

So I didn’t actually realize I had posted a spoiler until after I had solved it, so I apologize.

For a more generic hint:
How would one normally cheat in a PC game that doesn’t have hardcoded cheatcodes?
How do you go about creating your own simple cheats?
What’s the “win” condition?

I run the exe in any run and it says that the exe is trojan when I put exe to virus total it says that the av recognize the exe as trojan the link VirusTotal

Also seeing the exe tagged as trojan. Perhaps HTB or creator could chime in?

This challenge was not easy, like at all. I don’t understand why it is listed in easy track.

Anyway, after getting some hints and guessing some numbers, I was able to solve it. Very disappointed that I could not find some logical way to solve it, without guessing.

I did lookup a writeup on GitHub just to find out that the solution was to “guess some numbers” and voilà, “we solved this challenge”.

I would love to see a proper walkthrough involving logical steps to solve such challenges.

Hi there, I just solved it without guessing any numbers. In fact, this is indeed an easy challenge, though I have to admit that I was a bit puzzled because I am not used to the old-fashioned Windows API calls.

PM me if you want more details.

Cheers!

1 Like

Type your comment> @parrotsecurity said:

I run the exe in any run and it says that the exe is trojan when I put exe to virus total it says that the av recognize the exe as trojan the link VirusTotal

Most likely a “false positive”. HTB would be liable for distributing viruses. Note 38 engines think it’s a Trojan while 33 engines say, it is OK. Run the challenge in a safe VM if in doubt

@Baseizo7 said:
Also seeing the exe tagged as trojan. Perhaps HTB or creator could chime in?

Not creator but in this field there will be many false positives.

@parrotsecurity said:

I run the exe in any run and it says that the exe is trojan when I put exe to virus total it says that the av recognize the exe as trojan the link VirusTotal

Good opportunity to look at how AV works and why its good to dig into the detection rather than assume the AV alert is legitimate.

Well, thats another challenge that can be brainfuck if you don’t use a specific tool to Cheat in some games Engines…
Hint: You need to guess wich number shows the flag; start for the most common ones

Type your comment> @p4tria said:

Well, thats another challenge that can be brainfuck if you don’t use a specific tool to Cheat in some games Engines…
Hint: You need to guess which number shows the flag; start for the most common ones

I don’t know if I understood what you meant in" the number that shows the flag", but I managed to find the win condition and win, and now all I am seeing is a screen with Chinese characters and the word Courier, am I missing something?

Type your comment> @kazarski said:

Type your comment> @p4tria said:

Well, thats another challenge that can be brainfuck if you don’t use a specific tool to Cheat in some games Engines…
Hint: You need to guess which number shows the flag; start for the most common ones

I don’t know if I understood what you meant in" the number that shows the flag", but I managed to find the win condition and win, and now all I am seeing is a screen with Chinese characters and the word Courier, am I missing something?

if you get some chinese chars maybe you scored to much…

To anyone figuring out how to find “the number that shows the flag”. Try to see who is accessing it.

I won’t spoil, which obvious tool I used for solving it, but at least I can give you the hint to not use the IDA debugger. I haven’t figured out yet why it didn’t work for me (as I would have expected that both tools do the same) but for some reason it just worked with another tool.

My final approach: Just use a typical tool for such type of programs, find the correct address, use the built-on functionality to see the condition and then simply try to only just fulfill it (no guessing necessary) .

Finally got it. Not a classical reverse challenge. I have spent too much time with the wrong tools. The comments helped me to find it. Thanks, I have learned a new nice tool.

1 Like