misDIRection

For those getting HZ… instead of HTB…, it may be a file system case sensitivity issue.

I got the same issue while using a Linux VM because the file system I unzipped the file to was a shared folder from my Mac OS host, which had a case insensitive file system. After unzipping to a case sensitive file system inside the VM instead, it worked

1 Like

Type your comment> @ghostride said:

For those getting HZ… instead of HTB…, it may be a file system case sensitivity issue.

I got the same issue while using a Linux VM because the file system I unzipped the file to was a shared folder from my Mac OS host, which had a case insensitive file system. After unzipping to a case sensitive file system inside the VM instead, it worked

I had the same issue, make sure you use a case sensitive file system!

Type your comment> @ShingoTamai said:

The first approach that came to my mind was also the right one.

But I banged my head on the wall for a couple of hours because I was lazily using Windows.

It is important to have both upper case and lower case subdirectories present in the filesystem to be able to come up with the solution.

When I have opened the zip file under Windows, I was seeing something like the following.

E.g.:

U:

When I decompressed the zip under Linux, things looked different.

E.g.:
u:

U:

As you can see, the files are organised in a different way. I hope this helps.

Thank for the help!!!

I have found the DIRection as well as the destination but the decoding is not working as I expected…maybe I have missed something obvious…

Can anyone PM me to tell me where I have gone wrong?

You just have to do sort and cut. I managed to do this with a single line of command.

You just have to use logic.
Chronologic :slight_smile:
Oh, and use linux, that helps too, to get the right directory mapping.
now all you have to do is sort them.

Use Linux. Unzip the file the “right” way. This is an easy challenge. Feel free to PM me if you need a hint.

Keep in mind, that Macos has case insensitive FS

Very interesting - Solve using bash script.
PM me if needed.

Exactly this - thanks!

I swear that I will read the forums BEFORE I start the next challenge… hours wasted only because I was using Mac…

One liner with few AWK commands in it fixed it within a few minutes. It was actually quite easy once you work with correct data, haha

Type your comment> @junkh3ap said:

Exactly this - thanks!

Yes, unzip in linux.

I solved it with a bash inline, and neither extracted the contents from the zip archive. The tip is “order” with DIRirection in mind.

Loved this challenge. Puzzle inside a puzzle. PM for nudges/hints.

If you get what looks like a flag out but get denied on the submission, have a closer look at what you tried to paste in.

Oh boy! I just realized that the difficulty of this challenge depends on the OS you are using.

Type your comment> @ShingoTamai said:

The first approach that came to my mind was also the right one.

But I banged my head on the wall for a couple of hours because I was lazily using Windows.

It is important to have both upper case and lower case subdirectories present in the filesystem to be able to come up with the solution.

When I have opened the zip file under Windows, I was seeing something like the following.

E.g.:

U:

When I decompressed the zip under Linux, things looked different.

E.g.:
u:

U:

As you can see, the files are organised in a different way. I hope this helps.

I did the same thing…USE LINUX TO DO THIS CHALLENGE! Super easy if you do.

importent :
When i was acctualy unziped (with winrar) i got CAPITALS open as lowers …

Not a difficult one, if you are stuck, go back to the start. Consider what you have and how those things may relate to each one.

The end result will have the full flag (including HTB). Make sure you do this in a case sensitive OS, such as linux/macOS. :wink:

It may happen that one loses the correct casing of directory-names when unzipping the archive that leads to scrambled data…