Mac OS Smbutil

With newer OS X, there’s no smbclient command, but it’s replaced with smbutil.
I can’t solve the starting machine archetype since connecting to smb can’t be done (authorization problem). Does anyone have any idea how to connect anonymously to the smb server?

I am not an OSX/MacOS user so I don’t know the definite answer here.

However, some things to consider:

• Can you install SMBclient? Is it something you can add to the OS with brew for example?
  • If not, then you might be better using a virtual image for CTFs/Pentesting/etc as having granular control over your OS is pretty helpful.
  • With smbutil is there a switch like -a or -A that allows anonymous connections? I don’t know it well enough to be sure but I think there is still a way to do anonymous authorisation.

Sorry that I wasn’t very clear at first. As a reply,

@TazWake said:

• Can you install SMBclient? Is it something you can add to the OS with brew for example?
    AFAIK, I believe it’s not possible to install SMBclient.
  • If not, then you might be better using a virtual image for CTFs/Pentesting/etc as having granular control over your OS is pretty helpful.
    I might have to do that.
  • With smbutil is there a switch like -a or -A that allows anonymous connections? I don’t know it well enough to be sure but I think there is still a way to do anonymous authorisation.
    with smbutil, there’s -a flag that allows anonymous connection. However, I can’t really connect to the server anonymously (either smbutil bug or my environmental issues)

smbutil view -g //10.10.10.27/
mkdir ~/mnt
mount_smbfs -N //guest@10.10.10.27/backups ~/mnt

1 Like

Hi Everyone, when I enter

smbutil view -g //10.10.10.27/
I’m asked to enter a password and when I press enter I get “Authentication error” does anyone know what i’m missing here

You can $ brew install samba

whais the different betwen PS1 and Redirection?

USE smbutil view -G -g //10.10.10.27

-g will make so it will only authorize with guest
-G will enable guest access

1 Like