learning paths eJPT > eCPPTv5 > oscp?

Hey guys been struggling a bit so I did some googling around for courses I could complete to bring me up to speed the best way, now as I am situated in the UK the elearn courses are not really recognised over here so I was wondering if there are any English folk that have experience with these courses and whether this is a good route to bring myself up to date and able to do oscp?

I’m currently doing a computer science degree and I am an avid Linux user for quite a few years. Done a lot of hardware repair and servicing + software troubleshooting jobs over the last 5 years or so and feel it’s time to jump into cyber security (For background)

I’m a rookie and I got OSCP certification last month and it is my beginning of cybersecurity. I strongly suggest you learn it as well because the OSCP course is really suitable for beginners. I bought 60 days of lab time and I think the exam was not really difficult.

I was opting this route to make sure there was no gaps in my methodology and as it’s got great reviews for newcomers and some people who was over the top qualified said that they even learned something I would rather make sure I don’t miss fundamental lessons to understand than go into oscp with gaps

Type your comment> @UncleAlf said:

I was opting this route to make sure there was no gaps in my methodology and as it’s got great reviews for newcomers and some people who was over the top qualified said that they even learned something I would rather make sure I don’t miss fundamental lessons to understand than go into oscp with gaps

OSCP courses, I believe, are designed for beginners because they provide both pdf and video instruction that are very friendly for rookies just like me. It took me a week to go over the pdf and started exploring the lab network. in 60 days of lab time, I owned 45 machines of 4 networks and learned a lot of basic pwn skills and methodologies.

Hmm that’s odd everything I’ve read seems to point to oscp giving you very genuine guidelines without much depth

Which is why I opted for elearn certs I’ll definitely take another look around to see because it will save me $2000!!

Type your comment> @zachosk said:

Type your comment> @UncleAlf said:

OSCP courses, I believe, are designed for beginners because they provide both pdf and video instruction that are very friendly for rookies just like me. It took me a week to go over the pdf and started exploring the lab network. in 60 days of lab time, I owned 45 machines of 4 networks and learned a lot of basic pwn skills and methodologies.

Are you actually being serious lol?
You are zero to hero? Like no IT experience at all?
Someone from a cave and managed to pwn OSCP like nothing?

That’s cool if its true.

I can kind of understand what is being said with regards to OSCP being rookie level as I am part way through it (around 25 boxes down, 41 days of 60 left). The content is basic/simplified, the emphasis is on the labs and using those basics and applying them to other situations or using them to think outside the box, you develop a good process to follow and you have the tools mostly at your disposal. It doesn’t teach you to be a 1337 hax0r and to be honest, some of the content is outdated.

It could be argued if you need spoon feeding, you probably won’t have a great time on OSCP. The forums are useful but they are moderated, you aren’t getting any direct answers - bit like the forums here.

BTW: I took eJPT and eCPPTv2 exams without the courseware and passed. They were not easy (eJPT is multiple choice against an environment you can access so perhaps a bit easier), they were checking that you knew how to do basics well and understood what you were doing. eCPPTv2 in particular has a really smart examination in how it’s presented in my opinion, you are given 1 host and you are given your goal… the rest in-between is down to you to work out and document.