Information Exposure through query strings ; )

OVERVIEW

PwnBox is a recent new feature that is added by Hackthebox, which provides user a virtual parrot instance which carries all the pre-installed tools, terminal for pentesting purpose .

According to HTB, it is providing this facility to every user by creating their own unique instance with having username=htb- & password=random alphanumeric series with 8 characters. I think the pwnbox feature is suffering from Information Exposure through query strings bug in URL as the service is passing sensitive password information to parameters in the URL.

DETAILS

The password of your Instance can be seen in view instance details And when you open the desktop of your instance then you will notice that the password of instance is passed to parameters in at the end of URL in the format like- https://vnc.htb-cloud.com/index.html?host=proxy-in.htb-cloud.com%2Fbird%2Fhtb-pw02yuukr0.htb-cloud.com&password=1a2s3dFG

This could allow attackers to obtain access to your instance and disturb the activity in process

I think that showing of password in an open manner is nothing but a security Hole , and if you try to execute the same on your own then you will find that atleast the password of ur instance could have been delivered through POST request in an encrypted manner so that it can’t be exposed so openly in the search bar.

@BunnYisSumiT said:

I think that showing of password in an open manner is nothing but a security Hole

Often yes. Lots of technologies work with plaintext passwords though.

, and if you try to execute the same on your own then you will find that atleast the password of ur instance could have been delivered through POST request in an encrypted manner so that it can’t be exposed so openly in the search bar.

An un-encrypted POST request isn’t exposed URL bar either.

As @sparkla has said, this is probably something best raised directly with HTB. I’d suggest raising a JIRA ticket to see if they will remediate it. I dont know if HTB has a bug bounty program but they do seem to give out badges to people who find mistakes.

However, I would also suggest getting into the practice of adding detail. For example if you were submitting this to a non-technical organisation, it is rarely sufficient to say “you shouldn’t expose passwords in a GET request.”

For better or worse, people (pentests, bug bounties etc) want you to explain why it is bad, give examples of what could happen and make them fully understand the issues and risk.

@TazWake could u help me in telling how and where to submit this bug report to HacktheBox in an official way.

@sparkla yes buddy, its actually visible in the browser bar. thats only making it worse

@BunnYisSumiT said:

@TazWake could u help me in telling how and where to submit this bug report to HacktheBox in an official way.

I can try but I can’t make any promises.

I’d suggest either JIRA Jira Service Management, directly to HTB Staff or on Discord.

It’s worth seeing if you can message ch4p, egotistical, egre55, felamos, diogt, Roadrunner or Cry0l1t3

Picking up on the tips @sparkla has given though, it’s worth having an idea why the password (*) is a problem over a TLS connection.

For example, if the risk is that a 3rd party can intercept the traffic, it would help if you have an idea of how the interception would take place, where the attacker would be situated and what compensating controls might exist.

At the very least, this is awesome practice for pentests.

(*) it’s more a token than a password as it appears to be randomly generated each time. In the “authentication factors” scale, I’d describe it more as “something you have” rather than “something you know.”

@sparkla said:

EDIT: Nevertheless it’s best practice not to add passwords to a visible URL, I give you that. Which raises the question for me, is that link actually visible in the browser bar or is it just sent via like XMLHttpRequest as a REST endpoint call?

As far as I can see (big caveat) it is part of the GET request and visible in the browser URL bar. It doesn’t appear to be sent as a REST API thingy.

@TazWake thnx buddy ; )

I am a NOOB, I love my mistakes and i wanna say that just stay curious :smile:

@BunnYisSumiT said:

I am a NOOB,

Everyone is. There is no point in information security where some should be able to say “I know it all now.”

The best people can really say is “I know a bit more about X than someone else”

I love my mistakes and i wanna say that just stay curious :smile:

Good. Never stop learning.

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

The best people can really say is “I know a bit more about X than someone else”

Yea… some are really into packet analysis

@LMAY75 said:

Yea… some are really into packet analysis

:smile:

@sparkla you are just some another kind of hit man , thnqq very much