Hardware specs of your hacking machine, recommendations

You have a pretty powerful machine!

Thanks, yes it’s the machine I always wanted (memory), like the car I want: There is no substitute for cylinder capacity, except even more cylinder capacity!

Well, what can I say…

My home machine is the equivalent of Al Bundy’s mighty Dodge: old as ■■■■, some components seem to be on their last leg, and the GPU seems to have gotten to that point where it has had enough and seems to be ready to go to that special place with a literal blaze of glory, but I also have been using this same machine for so long that the day I get rid of it will feel like some rite of passage. Yeah, It may be a dinosaur now, but once upon a time it felt like a best when it came to appserver deployment or single-system compilation times.

This is my setup, which dates back to mid 2011:

• i5-2500K
  • 10 GB DDR3
  • ATI Radeon HD 6850
  • 2 SSDs (64GB and 256GB). and 4 HDDs for a total of like 1-2TB used for random storage
  • 2 monitors, with one connected to iGPU and the other to the dedicated 6850.

While this setup is more-or-less laughable, when compared against TazWake’s 12-core 128GB , 2x11GB GPUs, 500gb m2 etc. but it is still capable of acting as a simple stand-alone workstation (when it had 16GB RAM, it was capable of running Host(Linux)+2VMs(Kali+Win7, or Win7+Win10). For anything work-related I do have access to a more typical high-end setup, but that one is strictly work-only.

The most remarkable thing about this old machine is that I’ve had every component working at max, or even way past maximum capacity for almost 11 years.

• The i5-2500K CPU (an incredible chip) is overclocked from stock 3.3Ghz to a stable 4.8 Ghz right on the first day, and it has been running without a single issue since.

• The AMD HD6850 - built by Sapphire - happened to be some special/better edition with better specs. The card was a gift/bribe from my brother to force me to try Payday1 and play with him after I moved out to my own place, but it has worked remarkably well for 10 years . Similar to the CPU, the gpu has been running with both its mem and core clocks overclocked at their max allowed settings.

As far as hashcat - very old version, from when hashcat still natively supported Catalyst 15.7 - these are the rates I’m getting right now.

0-MD5=3372.7 MH/s

100-SHA1=1290.7 MH/s

500-md5crypt=401.5 kH/s

1000-NTLM=5850.5 MH/s

5600-NetNTLMv2=129.9 MH/s

That’s great if “old” machines like yours still get the job done. I expect to keep my new machine for sure for the next decade. We still use at home a Windows XP on a Dell Desktop from 2009 as the laser printer attached to it isn’t supported on more modern OS anymore. We can still order toner cartridge so why not keeping it. Too many electronic devices get thrown away even if they still function properly.

@k4wld said:
Thanks, yes it’s the machine I always wanted (memory), like the car I want: There is no substitute for cylinder capacity, except even more cylinder capacity!

“There’s no replacement for displacement”