SecNotes

I got credentials but not sure where to apply them to get shell. Any hint? please PM

Rooted! What a fun machine this was!

Wow, what a great machine! Really fun stuff. I love that there’s no plug and play exploits or anything like that, it’s almost entirely critical thinking and reading key files.

ADMINS: Please remove any part of this that may contain spoilers. Thanks.

For those struggling:

Initial foothold: After you do your initial scan, while you’re messing around, make sure you run a more complete scan in the background. It might just turn something up that your first scan didn’t.

Next step: There’s some really good cheat sheets out there cheat sheets out there. One of IppSec’s past videos alludes to the vulnerability, but this one is much simpler and you don’t have to go nearly as in depth. Once you get in, just look around. Everything you need is right in front of you, can’t stress that enough. Start with the basics.

Now maybe you can use what you found to gain access to a running service. Notice that there’s not much here. If you’re confused, ask for help and read through the responses. See what you’re allowed to do.

Once you figure that out, you can try to get a simple RCE script running. Just like in other boxes, RCE will usually allow you to enumerate certain parts of the filesystem, and potentially even run commands on the system. Just remember to hurry up, or think of a way you can make your new situation less temporary.

Once you get stable access, the rest is actually really easy, although it might not seem like it at first. Some of the hints in this thread are spot on: Notice the interesting directory? Think about what that means. If you were running that program as a user, that would give you different available programs, right? Maybe looking around for some of the more important or common ones will help you find what you need.

Once you find the “long” filepath, enumerate, enumerate, enumerate! Just like you would for any other system! That should be everything you need. You don’t need to run any programs once you gain access or anything like that.

You can PM me, but if you do, your questions better be well thought-out and I expect to see what you’ve been trying, otherwise how will I know how to help guide you? No more of this ‘plz help me I need it just tell me how’ ■■■■. :slight_smile:

EDIT: First PM after writing this: “SecNotes help logged in but dont know what to do”

Guys. This is NOT how you ask for help.

Any one willing to PM about gain access to the box. I was able to find a set of credentials and I see something that can be used to look in some directories. After that I am lost. I am not sure how to get a reverse shell or be able to look around better.

Rooted! Very nice box.
Tip on priv esc: basic (linux) enumeration is key. Look for the past, not the present.

Can anybode gave a hint to find out in which directory the server executes the upload? :slight_smile: dirb and dirbuster find no additional directory :confused:

Make sure your port scan is complete

@Skunkfoot said:
Wow, what a great machine! Really fun stuff. I love that there’s no plug and play exploits or anything like that, it’s almost entirely critical thinking and reading key files.
The best hint!!! I use only the last part, but very good hint

Does anyone know why the box returns a very specific error (like 0x…) when doing the very action needed to priv esc?

anyone currently doing this box pm me

Great one.
It is worth to mention (again) that no bruteforcing nor exploits were needed.
Feel free to ask for subtle hints.

Edit. it took me much more time than it should, to sum up it was quite an easy one… i needed to get educated a little.

I’m having trouble with the initial foothold. I’ve watched the ippsec video and tried to replicate the technique but not having any success. I’ve even modified the tamper script for this box but that’s not working either. Can someone toss me some help via DM?

I have a shell, but I’m completely lost. I tried to see if I can use the new things available in Win10, but no successs… need help!

@royc3r said:

@royc3r said:
I’ve been stuck on getting a shell to work for a week. im guessing you have to rename the shell to one of the files in the directory so it doesnt get deleted but any of the ones i try i never see a connection from the server to my laptop in a tcpdump.

finally got user. as always more enumeration was required.

took a few days off to think about root…i was close but stuck and frustrated…figured it out today…the hints in this thread helped for sure…great box that is relevant today!

Could use a hint here - got creds and logged in but stuck with where to pursue next. PMs much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hello guys,
Can anybody give me a hint regarding reverse shell?
I found a user. Logged in to the service. However, do not know how to execute shell.
Thanks in advance.

Do a full port scan. If you can get RCE, you can use that to run programs potentially. But Windows doesn’t have netcat, right? Fix that. :slight_smile:

Great box, user was straight forward. Took me a while to know where to look after, but @Everlastdg pointed me where to look and got root 5 mins after. Great box and unique way of getting root!

Hello,
I have found some ***.exe. Have executed the file and got root. However, still cannot open Administrator directory and cannot find the file with the flag.
Search command with "root.txt, administrator.txt"did not bring me positive results.

Definitely, got the root.
Really great box. Spent almost 5 days. 100 % enjoyed the box.
I would like to thank @Everlastdg and @Skunkfoot for not providing too much information about the hint. Learned a lot.