Reversing Snake

“Password is actually not a password but you can get it after encrypting your keys”.

This hint is also confusing.

Why would you get your password after encrypting your keys :)?

@AdmiralGaust said:
Finally done it after wasting 45 minutes. I will like to give hint to others so as to prevent their waste of time.

“Password is actually not a password but you can get it after encrypting your keys”

Got it after spending 3.5 Hours on it! Three hours trying to solve it in all possible manner & last half an hour scrolling through the forum.

With the level of thinking it requires, Points must be increased from mere 10

Got it in like half an hour (with not even alot of python programming knowledge), I removed every line of code that wasn’t relevent. And I just ran every line bit by bit. There are a couple of lines that are just there to deceive you, but if you take another small piece of code and decode it the same way, you will actually get what you’re looking for. Don’t try the password in the script, because the script itself is deceiving as well.

do not overlook the problem description as well where it says Flag should be in the format: HTB{username:password}

I wasted almost two hours having all the pieces but entering the flag in wrong format.

@Meatex said:
Do yourself a favour and literally delete everything after and including the read input line and try to solve from there

Amen!

I just solved this, after much head-scratching. But, I have to say that there IS a clear clue as to which of the variables contains the password. It is there in plain sight once you do the normal stuff to read it. You just need to understand how the logic of the code then hides it from you.

I spent 2 days racking my brain on what I was missing. I over complicated it. Simplify everything about this challenge and it’ll become clear.

I too had trouble getting this to give the correct flag. The password only checks 1 character, but the flag requires more… but not all… so its pointless.

i am still confused 2 days almost passed, such a noob i am, i got username but only 1 character password, everyone saying this is troll challenge the solution is on printing variables but still… i am getting only WEIRD numbers and maybe ascii , please can anyone give me hint i will be very appreciated to you:(

@CrKMinD said:
i am still confused 2 days almost passed, such a noob i am, i got username but only 1 character password, everyone saying this is troll challenge the solution is on printing variables but still… i am getting only WEIRD numbers and maybe ascii , please can anyone give me hint i will be very appreciated to you:(

oh i forgot to mention “this is a troll password!! its not that easy keep trying” CONFUSED

@CrKMinD this challenge is easier then you think. I eventually got it with a password that I thought I had tried way at the beginning already!

Just try something that starts with the correct letter but doesn’t include the troll part, just like @LocksmithArmy said.

@jippiedoe said:
@CrKMinD this challenge is easier then you think. I eventually got it with a password that I thought I had tried way at the beginning already!

Just try something that starts with the correct letter but doesn’t include the troll part, just like @LocksmithArmy said.

may i PM you please i am still confused @jippiedoe

GOT THE STUPID SNAKE BY ITS TAIL…
JUST KICKED OUT ONE ■■■■■■ ■■■■ LOOP…
AND JUST JOINED IT…
AND THE PASSWORD IS TRULY MISLEADING…
JUST TRY EVERY SEQUENCE YOU HAVE AS THE PASSWORD…

YOU CAN ALSO SURELY CATCH THE SNAKE BU ITS TAIL…

HAPPY SNAKE HUNTING

@jippiedoe said:

This! I think this is the lesson of this challenge.

@B1ackF1ag said:
GOT THE STUPID SNAKE BY ITS TAIL…
JUST KICKED OUT ONE ■■■■■■ ■■■■ LOOP…
AND JUST JOINED IT…
AND THE PASSWORD IS TRULY MISLEADING…
JUST TRY EVERY SEQUENCE YOU HAVE AS THE PASSWORD…

YOU CAN ALSO SURELY CATCH THE SNAKE BU ITS TAIL…

HAPPY SNAKE HUNTING

Holy Caps Lock Batman! Why are you yelling at me?

Lol, this didn’t take too long. Always love a troll. I saw the invariants right away. This was also just a little bit of a social engineering challenge too at the end to figure out what is wanted for the flag.

Looking back at the discussion here I think there are way too many spoilers. This one can be done with pencil and paper and a few debugging statement.

Nice little entry-level challenge. Thanks!

if only you could walk half way through … :slight_smile:

Ignore the people talking about getting trolled.
The difficult part of this challenge was overlooking the task description.
"Flag should be in the format: HTB{username:password} "

The password will NOT look like an English word.

Finally got it, even if trough the challenge it’s not that clear what you should be aiming for, with all the above tips and some trial and error you should be able to get it (and probably already did but haven’t tried to submit it).
Got some frustration off this one but still hoping that the creator keeps working on new challenges :smiley:

Hahaha, this challenge is retarded and kinda makes me wanna puke/cry…You do not have to touch the code, brute force is enough and step-by-step debugging and encoding/conversions. This is an easy challenge, do not get caught up with the logic, if you have coded anything in your life, you will quickly realize the logic is just there to troll you and make you feel dumb as f***.