Patents

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@Ad0n said:

lol when a guy ranked omniscient and ranked 53 calls this a doozy, lol what chance do i have against this box. oh well, just reading the forums prior to digging in, hopefully this will be a struggle cuddle into a better understanding of something.

Dont give up and dont fret too much about what other people do. I’ve been in the top 50 and I found this box very hard, largely because there are a lot of steps and a lot of blind attacks. But I also found Sauna hard…

Hard / Easy boxes are very, very subjective.

good talk coach, i’m ready to get back in there.

Type your comment> @Ad0n said:

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

@Ad0n said:

lol when a guy ranked omniscient and ranked 53 calls this a doozy, lol what chance do i have against this box. oh well, just reading the forums prior to digging in, hopefully this will be a struggle cuddle into a better understanding of something.

Dont give up and dont fret too much about what other people do. I’ve been in the top 50 and I found this box very hard, largely because there are a lot of steps and a lot of blind attacks. But I also found Sauna hard…

Hard / Easy boxes are very, very subjective.

good talk coach, i’m ready to get back in there.

Being that I am the original poster of the comment you referred to originally, I agree with what @TazWake said. Hang in there :slight_smile:

3 days later and i got user after a wicked amount of scraping the clues off the forum and a whole lot of trial and error, Thanks for the nudge of confidence guys feeling good about it. now onward and forwards.

Rooted! Very complicated and very interesting box. I had to turn my head on and start thinking outside the box. Respect for @gbyolo for this job.

Struggling with intiial X** (I can trigger it but I can’t find usable payload to execute commands or exfiltrate files)… Any nudges? Tnx

Rooted…

Initial Foothold:
I don’t think anyone likes recursive fuzzing for a single file … :neutral:
Its all about the wordlist, row row row your boat, try the largest
Inspect what you find closely. Do some google kung fu
An XE* attack that works quite well. No need for automation on this. You learn more anyway if you don’t.
Sample DocX: Sample .doc and .docx download | File Examples Download
Your trying to find another file in the web client that provides you with capabilities for foothold

User:
Once on the box, use your essential automated enumeration scripts to get “user”

Root:
Go back to initial n*** scan and see what other ports are open
ROP Emporium will help if you’ve never done these types of attacks
Once you get a shell, your not done yet. You won’t find it where you are
There are files hidden that will help you with your RE :slight_smile:

Hit me up on discord (I don’t respond to messages on the forums). Thanks!

is fuzzing only to find the re/U******s ? or also to find LFI ?

Type your comment> @bhsec said:

yeap

Can anyone help me with spy part?
EDIT: got it, thanks @TazWake!

Found the file the author mentioned, but don’t see how this helps in finding the “injection point” for X**. Tried basically all the files inside D**X and also several different things I found for O*T files. But nothing want to connect back to me.
If anyone could give me a nudge, I’d really grateful :slight_smile:

The file loosely refers to where in a docx the X is enabled. Not all docx templates might have that location.

Just to chip in regarding the final step of the box (getting the root flag) - previous hints on here were very misleading to me, as neither whale-riding is required for that, nor a “second RE/PWN”, at least as of April 2020 - maybe they were unintended ways to get the flag earlier?

Either way, the other hints and tips were solid, thanks a lot @seekorswim @TazWake and @godylocks ! =)

Anyway, to actually get the root flag, you need to double-check the place where you usually find it - maybe it is indeed there, but something covers it. :wink:

Type your comment> @Konstant said:

Type your comment> @bhsec said:

yeap

Can anyone help me with spy part?
EDIT: got it, thanks @TazWake!

now im stuck in the spy part :slight_smile:

I tried many wordlists, and got nothing except a LICENSE file.
How can i got the changelog file? PM some hints.
Thanks.

Type your comment> @todzhang said:

Thanks.

Try more wordlists.

@todzhang said:
Thanks.

Yeah its a real large one :smile:

Hi, I am stuck with X**. Tried many permutations adopted from different sources. Anybody would like to guide me? If yes, I will show what I have done so far. My discord: Ric0#7152

Type your comment> @Ric0 said:

Hi, I am stuck with X**. Tried many permutations adopted from different sources. Anybody would like to guide me? If yes, I will show what I have done so far. My discord: Ric0#7152

Thanks to @EvilT0r13 for pushing me on the right track.

Hi, I retrieved the user flag and now I want to exploit the L** thing, but where do I get the binary from?

Edit: Found it 5 minutes later; I had a typo in my find command.

Finally rooted this monster! That was the hardest box I’ve seen yet; took me about two weeks and a lot of coaching to get through this, but I learned so much! Really, it’s incredible. Almost nothing required to beat this thing was really in my book of tricks, so I had to dig around for a lot of things.
But when things finally work, the satisfaction is incredible!

Thanks for the box @gbyolo, this has been one ■■■■ of a ride!

Got root! It really hard and very interesting box. One of the best box I’ve completed. Big thanks @gbyolo!
P.S. Why does this box have such a low rating!?