Official Pit Discussion

Rooted!
Learned some new tricks. But needed the tips here in the forum to figure out the foothold. Thanks guys!

Can somebody in this forum help me with the root part? I think it should works but this machine didn’t let me log in with root

walk -v * -c ***** pit.htb (binary_num)
iso.(binary_num) = STRING: "/usr/bin/mon
"

❯ ssh root@pit.htb
root@pit.htb: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic).

Type your comment> @k01n said:

Can somebody in this forum help me with the root part? I think it should works but this machine didn’t let me log in with root

walk -v * -c ***** pit.htb (binary_num)
iso.(binary_num) = STRING: "/usr/bin/mon
"

❯ ssh root@pit.htb

Finally i found the “mistake”. Rooted.

not a cool machine

Am seriously stuck, cant get root access. Any hint plz

Rooted! Learned a lot on this box. If you need help, don’t be afraid to reach out but let me know what you’ve already tried.

@k01n same error here
ssh root@pit.htb
not able to get out of this

Same here too, tried again and again still stuck, help would be appreciated…It was a tough one > @ninza said:

@k01n same error here
ssh root@pit.htb
not able to get out of this

Need help with root part, It’s seems like the box can’t connect to my host, for example, using curl in /u**/l****/m*********/c*****sh visit my page,but walk says curl: (7) Couldn’t connect to server. Reverse shell or ssh got permission problem, is that right ?

EDIT: Rooted

Type your comment> @dXsg4oqJL6QW said:

Need help with root part, It’s seems like the box can’t connect to my host, for example, using curl in /u**/l****/m*********/c*****sh visit my page,but walk says curl: (7) Couldn’t connect to server. Reverse shell or ssh got permission problem, is that right ?

I think it’s may be because of SELinux

@1ntell0 got root !! check filename properly ch…sh

Getting foothold took me a lot longer than i am prepared to admit. Just stupid enumeration mistakes. I saw what I had to hit but I could just not reach it until I just happened to try that one little change the next day after a clear head…and boom, smooth sailing to root. Foothold was a whole lot harder than the path to root. I’m kicking myself for the dumb mistakes I made during the enumeration stage…remember, always take notes!

Fun box anyway!

User flag (user.txt) is not working when submitting it on the HTB platform, anyone experiencing this?

EDIT: nevermind, apparently someone had replaced it with a fake flag

@malikDaCoda reset machine !!!

Type your comment> @ninza said:

@malikDaCoda reset machine !!!

I had resetted it but apparently it took a little more time so that it was actually reset (although it showed “Machine reset” on the platform).
Unfortunately the same thing is happening with root flag and I reached maximum number of resets today :frowning:

Type your comment> @ninza said:

@1ntell0 got root !! check filename properly ch…sh

got it too…it was tricky the root part.
PM whoever needs help

Hello guys, I’m stuck. C*****t is the way? If so, could you advise me? I tried to search something about it but without good results.

Hi all, why can’t I simply execute(via [tool masked]) this script to get root.txt?
cat /root/root.txt > /home/(should I mask username?)/readable_file.txt

P.S. I rooted it, but still intresting

Footholded!
This box makes me think I will never ever in my lifetime achieve anything on hard/insane boxes on my own. Not a dent, not even a scratch. Couldn’t have done it without all the hints in this thread, that’s for sure.

Together with my attempt 2 months before, I’ve easily spent 12 hours on this box without any progress. Too tired to continue right now, but at least I’m confident I’ll get user this week.

@hum4N3rd PM me if your question is still unanswered

So I’m trying to use the T****al in C*****t to get user. But it doesn’t work. It’s just blank and if I hit “reconnect” I get;

Unexpected error
Cockpit had an unexpected internal error.
You can try restarting Cockpit by pressing refresh in your browser. The javascript console contains details about this error (Ctrl-Shift-J in most browsers).

And this error in the console;

Source map error: Error: request failed with status 404

Any nudges from here would be appreciated, thanks. Feel free to DM.