Official Outrun Discussion

I’m looking for some help to check a couple of things regarding this challenge. I’ve got the data loaded into a logic analyser, with a decoder for the protocol in question. I’m able to decode messages whose IDs and data payloads match up with those you get when you connect to the server, but all of the End-Of-Frame (EOF) fields are invalid. I’m also having difficulty identifying exactly which higher level protocol is being used to encode the messages.

Despite this challenge’s apparent difficulty (i.e. hard!), and lack of any recent messages on this forum, more people appear to have solved it than almost any other hardware challenge. Yet it’s the only one I haven’t solved yet. Am I missing something obvious?!

Type your comment> @onetimepad said:

I’m looking for some help to check a couple of things regarding this challenge. I’ve got the data loaded into a logic analyser, with a decoder for the protocol in question. I’m able to decode messages whose IDs and data payloads match up with those you get when you connect to the server, but all of the End-Of-Frame (EOF) fields are invalid. I’m also having difficulty identifying exactly which higher level protocol is being used to encode the messages.

Despite this challenge’s apparent difficulty (i.e. hard!), and lack of any recent messages on this forum, more people appear to have solved it than almost any other hardware challenge. Yet it’s the only one I haven’t solved yet. Am I missing something obvious?!

I have the same problem

Hello,

Anybody else getting:

[!] Connecting to server..
Attempting polling connection to http://x.x.x.x:x/socket.io/?transport=polling&EIO=4
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "*****/./bridge.py", line 54, in <module>
    sio.connect(URL) 
  File "****/client.py", line 314, in connect
    raise exceptions.ConnectionError(exc.args[0]) from None
socketio.exceptions.ConnectionError: Unexpected response from server

Maybe someone has a requirements.txt with pinned versions that would work?

I’ll continue trying to get bridge to connect. TIA!

EDIT:
putting this in my requirements worked:

requests
python-socketio==5.0.0
1 Like

Type your comment> @stev0 said:

Hello,

Anybody else getting:

[!] Connecting to server..
Attempting polling connection to http://x.x.x.x:x/socket.io/?transport=polling&EIO=4
  File "*****/./bridge.py", line 54, in <module>
    sio.connect(URL) 
  File "****/client.py", line 314, in connect
socketio.exceptions.ConnectionError: Unexpected response from server

Maybe someone has a requirements.txt with pinned versions that would work?

I’ll continue trying to get bridge to connect. TIA!

EDIT:
putting this in my requirements worked:

requests
python-socketio==5.0.0

You need to use python2

Type your comment> @GunniBusch said:

You need to use python2

Got it to work on python3 with a lower version of python-socketio (see above), thanks!

In regard to the rest of the challenge got as far as getting the doors locked. However I’m having a ■■■■ of a time getting it to slow down.

I think I’ve been able to convert the signal to digital, but I haven’t been able to find the tools (or proper settings) to successfully decode that data (I haven’t been able to get a decode that lines up with what I’m seeing in the live environment)

I’m able to use the client, but not getting any responses in the socketio stream that look different when I send the data. Nor does sending any data appear to change anything on the console.

The line about “use of one socket connection is mandatory” has me confused. Does this imply the socketio and HTTP traffic need to go over the same TCP connection?

Nothing I’m doing seems to cause any feedback at all.

I could use some help on the very first step of this challenge. I have identified the software used to process the given file, but for a very specific (and known to me) reason, it can’t decode the data. I couldn’t figure out a way to convert ASCII-65 to ASCII-68. Any pointer is appreciated. Thanks!

Type your comment> @davidlightman said:

I could use some help on the very first step of this challenge. I have identified the software used to process the given file, but for a very specific (and known to me) reason, it can’t decode the data. I couldn’t figure out a way to convert ASCII-65 to ASCII-68. Any pointer is appreciated. Thanks!

hey davidlightman im now facing the same problem any chance you could give me a hint.

Hello,
Trying to connect to the bridge,py but it shows up:
python3 bridge.py
[!] Connecting to server…
File “/home/kali/Downloads/htbimp/bridge.py”, line 47, in
sio.connect(URL)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/socketio/client.py”, line 329, in connect
socketio.exceptions.ConnectionError: Connection refused by the server

can someone help me please?
TIA!

I finally have beat this challenge.
Still wonder about those End-Of-Frame-Fields …
I mean, I just ignored validation on that part and still was able to solve it.
It was a bit weird in my opinion.