Official Academy Discussion

Just got a foothold. Ran some enumeration scripts but didn’t see much and don’t know where to go from here. Saw a bunch of users and saw a couple of files.
Anyone know where to go from here? Or just discussion in general?
Any nudges appreciated :slight_smile:

@zweeden said:
Just got a foothold. Ran some enumeration scripts but didn’t see much and don’t know where to go from here. Saw a bunch of users and saw a couple of files.
Anyone know where to go from here? Or just discussion in general?
Any nudges appreciated :slight_smile:

Any advice? I feel like I’m spinning my wheels once I got into the a**** page

After enumerating for a while, I found a file with s** creds, but probably not useful for now…
What took my attention is the A** Ke* for L****el tried few things with it but it got me nowhere
is that file a rabbithole?

Just got user and looking for some assistance/help on privesc/rooting - I’ve enumerated and done the usual things and noticed the new group but didnt read anything interesting. I must be missing something.

Nudges would be greatly appreciated.
DM me please or if you need hints to get to user :slight_smile:

@ElleuchX1 said:
After enumerating for a while, I found a file with s** creds, but probably not useful for now…
What took my attention is the A** Ke* for L****el tried few things with it but it got me nowhere
is that file a rabbithole?

I’m stuck here as well :frowning:

Rooted!

Took a while to find the fairly obvious path to root… ??

Tnx @UrbanMystery and @LeBofDuRa

just rooted! feel free to dm or discuss! curious how others went about it!

Just finished, what a box! Here’s a few tips that can help.

Foothold: Check how you can escalate your privileges as a user on the academy, you’ll be led to a nice hidden place. Follow what you find, and you’ll find some interesting secrets. Use the secrets to your advantage to craft a gateway - what you want is closer than you think!

User: The academy has more secrets, just need to find them. You’ll find a few, but this particular secret is distinct from the others - don’t doubt yourself, try it!

Root: You’re considered a particular type of user, rather privileged, you can see what others have done. You might need to audit a thing or two, you’ll find a new secret. Afterwards you’ll discover a new privilege - just feed it what it wants and you’ll get root.

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
big thanks to @zweeden :slight_smile:

Can… this be a feature on HtB?

Not the vuln obviously but the “Academy” thing. Was not expecting to see something so put together on a box, fantastic work @egre55 and @mrb3n

great machine @egre55 and @mrb3n , maybe a “medium” rating would be more appropriate ;o)

Awesome ASCII art !

I got the user flag, but how do I escalate to root I am confused…plz help…

any hints for as user to escalate admin priv

Rooted

I got a directory on the web server named Mo*****_f**** does this one help or I am in a rabbit hole

Type your comment> @St4yc4lm said:

I got a directory on the web server named Mo*****_f**** does this one help or I am in a rabbit hole

I guess it’s a rabbit hole, since you should find a more interesting page once you are more privileged than the mass…

rooted nice box

Type your comment> @LMAY75 said:

Can… this be a feature on HtB?

Not the vuln obviously but the “Academy” thing. Was not expecting to see something so put together on a box, fantastic work @egre55 and @mrb3n

Lol, it actually is. Just saw the video in the ippsec youtube feeds…

Never been so stuck. Can someone give me a nudge for the foothold please, I must be blind. Not finding anything apart from the login portals and the sample user page

Rooted, In two minds about the box.
Good that in highlighted my overeliance on enum scripts such as linpeas
Bad that I went down so many rabbit holes because of my overeliance on enum scripts.

If anyone who rooted this under <2 hours could DM me what there approach to enum is, I would appreciate it.

Is it just a mix of opensource scripts, or rigourous use of grep or just experience to know where to look.

EDIT: I’ve been told linpeas does highlight the thing but isn’t as obvious as I would have though. Probably a good ide to supplement linpeas with a couple greps