Irked

Argh, I was overthinking it. Finally got root…

This box wasn’t for me, too much like a CTF box.

Root is as simple as finding the right file I pretty much got it by accident.

Need some help for rooting

Somehow , trying a certain exploit on a certain u******** service doesn’t work for me.

The command stops at “A/B is input” . Even tho my friends manage to run the exact same thing with it working fine.

(and yeah I setup RHOST , RPORT , LHOST properly)

Finally rooted. Thanks to @AviShabat

New member and also new to penetration testing here.
Maybe I am overthinking it about this machine cause I can’t even get a low level shell access. All ports enumerated, found the services open but not much more from there. I’ve read all the hints provided in the thread but no luck. Any further advice would be appreciated.

@raptorfx said:
New member and also new to penetration testing here.
Maybe I am overthinking it about this machine cause I can’t even get a low level shell access. All ports enumerated, found the services open but not much more from there. I’ve read all the hints provided in the thread but no luck. Any further advice would be appreciated.

think about what the machine is called, its a reasonably well known exploit, enumerate ALL ports and see whats running.

I got user. Think i have the correct bin file and see something weird going on. But not sure what to do with this. If anyone could PM me and give me a hint as to what i should do with it that would be great.

@r0tt3d said:
I got user. Think i have the correct bin file and see something weird going on. But not sure what to do with this. If anyone could PM me and give me a hint as to what i should do with it that would be great.

Managed to get root. Had the right bin was just using it wrong.

I’ve scanned all directories, but I can’t find any method to be root

You can throw pm for help

stuck on root. ran enum. got suid list, stringed along the list but still stuck. anyone offering help would be appreciated. PM me thx

@salamander said:
The key to root is enumerating and a bit of reversing. Just pay attention to unusual executables owned by root. Hacky New Year, btw!

Guys, read the past posts. The way to root hasn’t changed from page 15 to page 16 of this thread. The hint is still enumerating SUID binaries owned by root. Pay attention to those that are not part of a standard linux installation.

lolol user.txt was really CTF like. Off to root.txt!

@Elohelll said:

Hey, check all the SUID files, it enables users to run the file with effective permissions of root. You’ll see rws instead of rwx, the s indicates that this file has the SUID permission set.

@xterminal01 said:

@Elohelll said:

Hey, check all the SUID files, it enables users to run the file with effective permissions of root. You’ll see rws instead of rwx, the s indicates that this file has the SUID permission set.

Yes i found a suid file but i don’t know exactly what to do with it

@Elohelll said:

@xterminal01 said:

@Elohelll said:

Yes i found a suid file but i don’t know exactly what to do with it

Have you run the SUID file to see what it does?

Once you understand what the binary does/runs, it should be pretty straightforward from there.

Hello

Someone who can help me get a root shell, I have listed the root suid bin, but I can’t see which one to exploit.

Greetings

Got root, but idk if I did it the right way…

I managed to take root and thank you all

got root! thx jkr for the tip.