HTB PwnBox

When using pwnbox in a web browser certain key combinations get intercepted. This is problematic when I use Emacs, as copy-and-paste key combinations can result in the web browser window closing instead. Is there a better client to get the pwnbox remote desktop that won’t steal the keystrokes, and maybe is a bit more natural for the clipboard?

I am interested in alternative clients for both Linux and Microsoft Windows.

Perhaps someone can assist me.

I’ve been having issues with pwnbox and trying to access boxes. For example I tired both Archetype and Guard. I can’t ping and I can’t scan either of them with nmap. Pings come back with destination unreachable. Nmap returns “host seems down” and if i add -Pn it says all ports are filtered. I’ve tried the same nmap commands used in some walkthroughs to double check, but still nothing.

What could I be doing wrong in my setup of the pwnbox?

@rosemallow85 said:

Perhaps someone can assist me.

I’ve been having issues with pwnbox and trying to access boxes. For example I tired both Archetype and Guard. I can’t ping and I can’t scan either of them with nmap. Pings come back with destination unreachable. Nmap returns “host seems down” and if i add -Pn it says all ports are filtered. I’ve tried the same nmap commands used in some walkthroughs to double check, but still nothing.

What could I be doing wrong in my setup of the pwnbox?

Initial thoughts:

• Does Pwnbox need a VPN?
  • Has the box been started?
  • Does traceroute show anything unusual?

Does Pwnbox need a VPN? - Yes but it already has one when you launch it.

Has the box been started? - Yes

Does traceroute show anything unusual? - When I traceroute to the box instance IP it just errors on the first ip it tries (10.10.0.13)

Issue was resolved. You have to use a specific pwnbox for the starting machines as referenced here: Connection Troubleshooting | Hack The Box Help Center

Is anyone else getting very slow hashcat run times? There are lots of advantages to pwnbox but sometimes it is so ■■■■ slow. It will take 4.5 days to iterate through rockyou.txt

why is there no /usr/share/wordlists in pwnbox ?

Type your comment> @runlevel3 said: > When using pwnbox in a web browser certain key combinations get intercepted. This is problematic when I use Emacs, as copy-and-paste key combinations can result in the web browser window closing instead. Is there a better client to get the pwnbox remote desktop that won’t steal the keystrokes, and maybe is a bit more natural for the clipboard? > > I am interested in alternative clients for both Linux and Microsoft Windows. What I do is to connect to the localhost VNC instance through an SSH tunnel using pwnbox itself, with the “vncviewer” client. It’s quick, and no problems with keystrokes at all. On your computer, run: ssh -N -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901 your-user@your-instance & vncviewer localhost:5901 The VNC password is the same as your SSH password. Hope this helps,

thanks

Hi, I need help. When I try to run the command ‘apt-get update’ or ‘apt-get install’, it gives me always the error E: Failed to fetch, i don’t know what to do.

My pwnbox keeps terminating when I finish a section… How do I keep this from happening? Literally only able to do one section a day.