FluJab

Type your comment> @Amen0 said:

Hi guys!!

This box is amazing, and full of lessons.
I’m stuck for the moment, with I hope the last challenge before getting user real shell.
I can add mysefl and partially connect to a service. But even with all i find regarding this service in home/service-config, i can’t figure it out.
Any hint or tips are really welcome in PM, please.
Thanks

I’m also stuck at that place. Could anyone pm me a hint, please?

Rooted, but now that I read this topic in full I have to comment.

This is a really great box. Closest to a real pentest assignment for me so far (and I’ve done some of those). The fact that there is potentially lots of information, many routes, “rabbit holes”, annoying proxies - that’s all too real. Fortunately, even ignoring the “scope” it shouldn’t be too long before you arrive at the promising interfaces if you do things efficiently and have the ability to prioritize (what some people may be lacking?). In real life ready-made tools often fail on you, so you have to get your hands dirty. And you may have to investigate thoroughly once something promising is spotted. The box was dropping some requests from me, as would often happen, but more interestingly I even managed to completely lock myself out a couple of times. That again made it only more real then the rest. Understanding what you are doing and how it influences the rest of the system helps. The root part was nice too.

As of clowns n ■■■■, I personally found that hillarious :honk::honk: Nice themes and cool content.

We need more boxes like this one.

Is the super leet thing a rabbit hole?

Hey @psie
Really glad you enjoyed it.
I always appreciate all the well reasoned and articulated feedback people take the time to post. (Both good and bad)
I’m gonna try getting around to making another similar box sometime soon.

Cheers buddy,
??

hey guys! i’m very new to this and thought i’d see what a challenege felt like. Talk about getting rekt… but anyways, would love to pick your brains about how to deal with this clown after the first custom 404. also my burp isn’t picking the page up but i’m sure its because of something i’m not doing. anyone mind giving a noob like me a hand? sorry if i’m annoying or anything

Spoiler Removed

Type your comment

While I’m at it. Everybody seems to have an opinion on this box (most opinionated thread I’ve ever read on HTB, IMHO) so here’s mine. I find the inability to run tools annoying. All it does is make the process of pentesting take longer. I assume most people that run tools/scripts/automated scanners/etc know whats going on, & can usually figure out what’s going on with “verbose” output settings. BUT, if the box creator sez “N0 T00LZ!” so be it, I can respect that. I did not appreciate the TR-909 kick drum alarm/klaxon (or whatever sound it is) with the clown, because my speakers were turned up LOUD from music playback. My poor speakers crackled :anguished: not cool Emergence. I do feel antagonized, as an HTB player, throughout the box. I’m a sensitive person, & I’m anti-bullying. I do not get a feeling of “that’s it! I’m gonna pwn this box now!” more like “That’s not nice.” I’m not a competitive person, I believe in playing fair, good sportsmanship, & encouragement. The Cow comments seems to be rabbit holes more than clues (is there really a Scott user with password Tiger? I highly doubt it.) & the PHP shell is misleading. I wasn’t fooled, but I’ve got much experience. The fake shell is not something your gonna find in a real pentest (unless it’s a honey pot). The clown, SSL, proxy stuff, fake sites, no big deal, I can see why the box author thought they were being phunny. Also, mean jokes are not cool. Maybe I’m being too politically correct, but I get a feeling of classism on the “Going below the Poverty Line” commented code. Being economically challenged is not funny, & joking about it is not cute.Just saying. So yeah, next time, avoid the multimedia sounds (unless they’re at a sensible volume) or I’ll sue you for new speakers! (maybe :wink: ), & please, no more/extra rabbit holes/fake leads than there needs to be (there’s already a box called “Rabbit” if you want those), these boxes already take forever on their own. I respect all the box makers for their contributions, & I’m pretty sure I’ve never given a bad review (thumbs down) because of that fact. So THANK YOU Emrgnce, & all box makers. Also, don’t be a condescending ■■■■ about being a pro paid hacker. I’ve been hacking for 30yrs, worn more “hats” than anybody, & left ■■■■ talking back in the 1990s where it belongs. All that talking trash does is make people look prejudiced, jealous, ignorant, etc. I believe trash talking kept a lot of females out of phun activities like skateboarding, guitar playing, computer programming, video games, & if we want girls involved in cool activities (I hope we all do!) then leave the macho BS alone. We’re all in this together, for knowledge.

somebody that help me with find to nurse? I enumerated every dns but I don’t get nothing

Type your comment> @th3d00msl4y3r said:

somebody that help me with find to nurse? I enumerated every dns but I don’t get nothing

PM

@Zot
Thanks for adding your point of view. I of course don’t look down on anyone. Tbh, I’m rubbish at most things in life. I agree a perceived air of elitism is damaging to fairplay in general, and that is so so not what I aim for. I hate bullies, and love my kids to see me set a good example of how to treat others.

After reading (literally) hundreds of peoples comments of what they believe I intended with each of the 3 boxes ive published on HTB so far I’ve certainly learned that everyone is guaranteed to read things in their own narrative voice they have cultivated for themselves in their own mind.

As for me, I intended to get back around to building some more boxes when i get the time. I can tell you that they will be aimed at:

1. Helping people practice useful skills
  2. Making them smile.
  3. Having fun.

Cheers,
3mrgnc3
??

Type your comment> @3mrgnc3 said:

@Zot
Thanks for adding your point of view. I of course don’t look down on anyone. Tbh, I’m rubbish at most things in life. I agree a perceived air of elitism is damaging to fairplay in general, and that is so so not what I aim for. I hate bullies, and love my kids to see me set a good example of how to treat others.

After reading (literally) hundreds of peoples comments of what they believe I intended with each of the 3 boxes ive published on HTB so far I’ve certainly learned that everyone is guaranteed to read things in their own narrative voice they have cultivated for themselves in their own mind.

As for me, I intended to get back around to building some more boxes when i get the time. I can tell you that they will be aimed at:

1. Helping people practice useful skills
  2. Making them smile.
  3. Having fun.

Cheers,
3mrgnc3
??

That’s cool, @3mrgnc3
Keep those boxes coming!

I like to think you’re encouraging people to follow your path, cuz you’ve done it right, it seems. But it can come off as elitism, yes. Everybody has to carve their own path in this game, & no particular one is better nor worse.

Glad we’ve all seemed to learn SOMETHING from this box.

hopefully I can leverage this a****i access into user.txt now. back to work.

Rooted successfully !! .First of all I would like to thank all the folks who provided hints on the forum and also @kecebong for helping me at every step. Here are some hints for people

#Initial enumeration
1.Analyze the ssl certificate.Use that information and stay in scope as author suggested.
2.Once you find right domain play with its cookies for next step and get the nurse talking
3.Once she tells you the area and its owner :smiley: head there, enumerate everything to get a limited shell. To escape use something which normal people refer as black substance to make roads :D. This step was hardest part for me

#User and root
1.Enumerate using common scripts and find something interesting which can be exploited.
AND then
Tell ippsec to give you a haircut lol :smiley:

Hope this isn’t too much of a spoiler. FInally thanks to @3mrgnc3 for creating this box which really tested my patience level
Hack The Box

Was finally able to get user and root. Difficult at times, but learned a lot. Thanks @3mrgnc3, was fun. Thanks to @Xentropy and others for hints.

Finally! user.txt sheesh jeez gosh golly. That was work, wipes sweat from forehead :sweat:

Finally rooted! In retrospect, it was a pretty straightforward, almost, ALMOST simple challenge. But Without errors or responses that I couldn’t debug, I exhausted myself doing pointless enumerations. Glad to be done.

Thanks @skate4ever for keeping me company on Discord while we were basically doing the same tasks at the same time. & to @zzg for helping with the Nursespeak. & to @3mrgnc3 for giving me something to do.

After a looong way, rooted!.I really liked the first part, get a shell was a ■■■■. Thanks for your work @3mrgnc3

rooted

An hour late after it was retired, but rooted. I really enjoyed this box. I thought it was pretty realistic. Not because of clowns but because it emphasises basic skills and drills. Proper enumeration, ignoring what doesn’t work and following an evidence driven approach.

Clues were there in abundance. Some silly stuff, but hey, if you go through the effort of creating a box like this, you’re allowed to have some fun yourself!

What slowed me down on this wasn’t the inherent complexity or trolls (I even learned something in the shadowtroll bit) but not properly enumerating.

Cools stuff:

1. Multiple domains
  2. Abusing cookies
  3. Out of band SQLi
  4. Playing with SSH
  5. rbash escape - Learnt some new tricks here
  6. root - got learned on enumeration after trying to pwn the wrong binary for an hour and a half

Cool box. Thumbs up from me. Thanks, @3mrgnc3 !