Does the virtual machine allow external network access?

On the provided hackthebox virtual machine I have successfully ping fb.com but when wget fb.com shows the connection failed again. I am a newbie hope you can answer.

Or is the hackthebox virtual machine providing access only to the labs that the server allows?

@VHAE said:

On the provided hackthebox virtual machine I have successfully ping fb.com but when wget fb.com shows the connection failed again. I am a newbie hope you can answer.

Or is the hackthebox virtual machine providing access only to the labs that the server allows?

Ping and wget aren’t really very effective for testing network connectivity, but if ping worked, then there has to be some way for the packets to get through.

Run traceroute and see what it says - that will give you a better idea of what is going on.

If wget is failing it could be lots of reasons - for example, the remote site might refuse requests from wget based on UA string. It’s worth checking any error messages or response codes (curl -v is useful if you want to test web response on a remote server).

If you are asking about pwnbox - then yes, it does allow internet connectivity. You can test this by opening a browser and going to google for example.

This is an screen grab I’ve just got now:

If you mean the server you are attacking, then no, it won’t have internet access so I’d be interested to see what you got back from pinging fb.com there.

@TazWake said:
@VHAE said:

Ping and wget aren’t really very effective for testing network connectivity, but if ping worked, then there has to be some way for the packets to get through.

Run traceroute and see what it says - that will give you a better idea of what is going on.

If wget is failing it could be lots of reasons - for example, the remote site might refuse requests from wget based on UA string. It’s worth checking any error messages or response codes (curl -v is useful if you want to test web response on a remote server).

If you are asking about pwnbox - then yes, it does allow internet connectivity. You can test this by opening a browser and going to google for example.

This is an screen grab I’ve just got now:

If you mean the server you are attacking, then no, it won’t have internet access so I’d be interested to see what you got back from pinging fb.com there.

thk u i also tried opening the browser and it cant access google or facebook

here i trying connecting google

i got ping here
ping fb.com
PING fb.com (157.240.236.35) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from edge-star-mini-shv-02-frx5.facebook.com (157.240.236.35): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=2.08 ms
64 bytes from edge-star-mini-shv-02-frx5.facebook.com (157.240.236.35): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=1.25 ms
64 bytes from edge-star-mini-shv-02-frx5.facebook.com (157.240.236.35): icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=0.884 ms

and curl
curl -v fb.com

• Trying 157.240.236.35:80…
  • Trying 2a03:2880:f12d:181:face:b00c:0:25de:80…
  • Immediate connect fail for 2a03:2880:f12d:181:face:b00c:0:25de: Network is unreachable

Ok - that looks like a problem. The network should be reachable. I’d raise a ticket with support.

so how can i access internet on vps ;(

u can help me pls ;( i can go in fb or google anyway

@VHAE said: > so how can i access internet on vps ;( Did you raise a ticket with support? I dont know how I can help you - I cant recreate the problem and I dont know what is causing it.

@VHAE said: > u can help me pls ;( i can go in fb or google anyway What are you trying to access on the internet from the private server?