Book

Title also suggests to read and learn, so looks like a hint

Type your comment> @olsv said:

@init5 said:

@olsv said:
Have anyone tried to mess with existing pdf files? One of them looks very interesting

Define interesting :smile:
Depends on the tool you use.

Something steganographic?

Type your comment> @durante said:

@init5 said:

@olsv said:
Have anyone tried to mess with existing pdf files? One of them looks very interesting

Would be very ctf-y

Type your comment> @durante said:

@init5 said:

@olsv said:

probably, some additional content there but most likely collateral damage from extraction. Trying to crack, but no luck so far.

yes, im trying to inject the XMPmeta field, exactly the </x:xmpmeta> attribute

Jeezzzz man! This box just went from 4/5 to a solid 8 in difficulty ■■■■. Hoping i get this as it would be my first medium/hard box! :smile:

Type your comment> @m3dsec said:

yes, im trying to inject the XMPmeta field, exactly the </x:xmpmeta> attribute

from what I’ve seen with exiftool, looks like the files are just random ones from the internet… so anything in them has nothing to do with the box. I could be wrong though.

Type your comment> @NoWay1911 said:

(Quote)
from what I’ve seen with exiftool, looks like the files are just random ones from the internet… so anything in them has nothing to do with the box. I could be wrong though.

And what about your own pdf file which you have uploaded?

Type your comment> @bertalting said:

Type your comment> @NoWay1911 said:

(Quote)

And what about your own pdf file which you have uploaded?

looks like it simply takes whatever you feed it and stores with random id as pdf. /ad**/ex** suggests there is some processing, but some preconditions should probably be met.

did anyone managed to get to admin panel?

xct and someone else managed it. All I managed is a weird (benign) xss in my user profile, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the way forward. I have no clue how to make it a meanie.

I am not expert but I just do not see any logic in this. Just a complex guessing game. Shrug. Pretty annoying. No offense to maker. Maybe the rest of the box is really cool and I will learn something but this part is… strange

Educated guessing is something that you’ll have to do in any pentest, especially against a target that is probably 94%-99% blackbox.
This thing is a legit beast and probably requires chaining together some obscure yet logical things that I’ve yet to get a twist on, but the overall story looks like it makes sense. It’s just a matter of making it work out. Trial and error. That’s life.

based on the endpoints hanging off of /admin, I am thinking this is either a client-side exploit or access to the admin panel is required. I could totally be wrong, but its what makes sense right now.

I might be overthinking it, but I see a pattern there. Title suggests Read and Learn, there is also header “If you have a Garden and a Library, you have everything you needed.” All provided PDFs are about flowers and one of them have “marker” words. Tried to build dictionaries out of them, but no luck.
One of them did work though, but that was a false alarm. Someone reset the box :slight_smile:

Found some pieces of software, one is git version, the other slighly outdated, not really sure if that would be important at this point.

Me: I sure have worked hard and would like to change careers to being a pentester some day.
Reality: Ha! F… you, buddy. Go eat paste.

I got some csrf working, but I don’t want to purchase a short domain. My ip is one digit too big :confused:

Type your comment> @anonipossum said:

I got some csrf working, but I don’t want to purchase a short domain. My ip is one digit too big :confused:

purchasing a short domain wouldn’t help you anyways. the boxes are all sandboxed with no internet connectivity.

free domain names with .tk extention. Good for when you need to test something (Dot TK - Find a new FREE domain)