Bastion

is anyone having trouble connecting to the smb share? try connecting says no workgroup

Fun machine actually got hung on the easy part.

So this is my first ever Hack attempt, so far i got the .v** mounted, got the NT*M hashes but where do i go from there? Ive been stuck on this since 2 days ago!
Maybe someone could PM me just 1 more step i would really appreciate it.

Any suggestions on how to access the c****g folder to access the a dump?

I really enjoyed this box. Learned a few things.

This is the first box I have attempted and I’ve now completed it after 2 days.

I went down rabbit holes that weren’t necessary on both users.

I was being stubborn on root as I wanted to do everything in linux. I eventually gave up and span up a Windows 7 VM. After a while installing updates I had the password within seconds.

Researching and testing various different programs was what consumed most of my time. There are many scripts out there that claim they can do what you need them too but unfortunately none of these worked for me.

There was also a particular module that requires a session to do what you need it to but I couldn’t upgrade it to the point where it would work. I would be grateful to hear from anybody who had success with this.

Admittedly I also had trouble using john to get user and had to use an online solution. Again I would be grateful if anybody could PM the correct syntax as I would have preferred to this via the terminal.

Thank you for this box, it was an educational experience. I can’t wait to move on to the next one.

My advice to anyone struggling would be to ensure your syntax is correct when attempting to access certain files.

The simplest option that you have seen online is likely the correct one.

First box I attempted, very pleasing experience, I got root within 4-5 hours and I’m glad as I could learn a lot going through this first box !

Hey if anyone has found/used another way to deal with the vhd files please let me know. I know you can download and mount locally or mount remotely (guestmount) but what about other ways, I’m thinking about some remote forensics tool…

That was my first machine on hackthebox and i succeed to have user and root in ± 6 hours with some tips on the forum (thanks to all).
I learned some cool things and that makes me want to keep doing some CTF like that.

User tips : misconfiguration, mount remotely, passwd file but in windows
Root tips : weak software, bad configuration file

Thanks to all for advice

Finally finished my first box, and also first hack it was really funny and challenging!
If someone needs some help or just a hint, hit me up!

I’m running Kali in VirtualBox trying to mount the vhd with the following command and it’s getting part way through mounting it then fails/hangs without displaying any clue as to why, can anyone help?

guestmount --add 9b9cfbc3-369e-11e9-a17c-806e6f6e6963.vhd --inspector --ro /mnt/vhd1 -v

need help with root got user can anyone pm me?

Mounted vhd file, but i cant find anything to continue, can anyone pm me? i’m stuck on vhd, what i must see?

37mb vhd used

@tryhardyomismo said:
37mb vhd used
you need the large file dude

Type your comment> @osmus said:

Type your comment> @osmus said:

Type your comment> @TimmyTheOG said:

I’m getting a “MAC check failed” when I use the python script.
Any help?

I have this same problem.

I ended up using the portable version to get around this issue.

Where did you get that? I know what I’m doing is right, but I’m stuck with this stupid dependency error.

rooted my first windows machine

Yeah so very cool and fast machine, good for a newbie. Many thanks for this box to @L4mpje !!!
PS> In this topic there is all you need.

hey guys… i have the vhd files… checked multiple stuff inside them after mounting them… no idea what to look for… please could anyone nudge me on pm?