Academy/Intro to Network Traffic Analysis/Dissecting Network Traffic with Wireshark Questions

JUST host IP

Anytime I run into a problem on HTB, where I have the obvious answer and it doesn’t work, I log out of my account and log back in. Then retry the answer and it will work. They have a bug of some type. I am sure it can’t just be me. For a long time I thought I was loosing my mind. I would put the right answer in and it would say incorrect. After awhile I noticed if I came back the next day and put the exact same answer, it would accept it. I have tested this multiple times and found it to be a very consistent problem, this is my biggest ■■■■■ about HTB is this problem. Hope this helps

Am I supposed to be looking in the packet details tab for a username? I have filtered through different protocols and nothing looks obvious to me.

Hello my brothers and sisters. I am completely lost on the this wireshrak-lab2. I cannot connect to target IP. By reading the comments I see im supposed ot connect to NOMACHINE which is not in the instructions. tried doing that and nothing happens, says it not configured or something of that nature. I could really use some help.

if you click the interact button under the pawnbox linux machine that hack the box provides to you for learning, it will then open in a new window giving you a better view of pawnbox. after that you should spawn a target machine by clicking the spawn target machone button the target machine will then provide an IP address. you can then xfreerdp to that IP address using the /u:htb-student. after that you should be able to provide a password given HTB_…etc.

Thank you @mland410 much appreciated.

was it johnDoe

Totally! I thought I was just missing it but amazing what happens when you use the right dataset… :joy:

I’ll leave a note for HTB support to try and address this.

I wasn’t paying attention to the question as you said, and missing the sudo tcpdump part! thank you good sir!

Just to add - While doing these questions, I was having some trouble when I was sure the answer was correct. Then I realized something, HTB answers sometimes dont work well when pasting into the box.

On Q4, I pasted in the correct answer with correct spacing and it kept coming up as incorrect. Even editing the lines it wouldnt accept it.

When I tried typing the entirety of the exact same answer in the box, it worked. Just something to be aware of and try if you have been copy/pasting.

1 Like

Check the live traffic captured. Check HTTP traffic, the person registers, login and reset password.

First question, use the WIreshart-lab2 it should be that hard.

Second question, RDP to the machine and looks for login activity in the info column.
If you feel lost, just reset and dispose the packet capture and restart capturing again.

Well, HTB questions have misled us manytime :smile: