A troubling video - MEGAHACK IMMINENT?

Well we all know that theoretically its possible. Given the current state of affairs in the world, I am inclined to believe that this is probably going to happen. Coronavirus plan B.

It begins.

While I am genuinely unconvinced that a “megahack” is either a thing, or imminent, the combination of Solar Winds and “SignSight” have left me very, very busy for the last week or so.

If you didn’t see the SignSight stuff: Operation SignSight: Supply‑chain attack against a certification authority in Southeast Asia | WeLiveSecurity

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

While I am genuinely unconvinced that a “megahack” is either a thing, or imminent, the combination of Solar Winds and “SignSight” have left me very, very busy for the last week or so.

If you didn’t see the SignSight stuff: https://www.welivesecurity.com/2020/12/17/operation-signsight-supply-chain-attack-southeast-asia/

Watch the video…

I have. There is a fallacy in the language we use to describe malicious software - and it gets worse with terminology like “cyber pathogens” - which is why it is a bit of a mistake to try and model it like the spread of a human virus.

The problem is the analogy is alluring and, to an extent, can be forced to create a match in some areas. However, this rarely true when it comes to forward modelling with any accuracy.

I am going to largely ignore the underlying conspiracy theories on the basis they are largely nonsense.